Stylus inspection with USB microscope

I have been trying to do inspections with USB microscopes for a while now, and am having no success. I've tried a few, and just can't get the knack of these things. I have seen some extremely detailed examination photos on the web with the USB scopes, and can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. When I use low power magnification, I can get the cantilever into focus, but nowhere near the magnification level required to inspect the tip. When I use higher levels of magnification, I have to move the scope so far from the cartridge, that it proves worthless. Whats the deal with this USB process, and where am I going wrong? Wish I had an old Shure SEK2 like back in the day, but, alas, they seem to be like searching for the Holy Grail. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
128x128crazyeddy
Have you removed the lens guard? This is the plastic ring around the lens. With it in place it is unlikely you can get the lens close enough to the stylus to focus. Maximum focal length for the cheaper USB is often very small at higher magnifications. You may need to cut or break the lens guard to get it off

also a rigid stand can be helpful

my method and experience is covered here
https://db.audioasylum.com/mhtml/m.html?forum=vinyl&n=1084171&highlight=Folkfreak+usb&r=...

Thanks folkfreak. No, I have not tried it with the lens guard removed. That may just be the ticket. Thanks for the tip.

@klooker

That's crazy. I still cant get that that kind of detail, no matter how hard I work on it.