An experiment worked; how to proceed?

A post here a while back suggested placing blankets or quilts on the floor around, between, in front of and behind the speakers. Today I did just that and am pleased with the results, particularly with orchestral music. The sound stage imaging and bass are improved, and the shrillness I sometimes experience with violins and woodwinds is gone.

Although I'm fortunate enough to have a more-or-less dedicated listening room, for practical and domestic tranquility reasons this obviously can't be a long-term solution. The room is about 12.5' x 15' with a thin oriental rug on the floor, gypboard walls, 6' of (curtained) glass door along one wall, bookshelves against the front and back walls, and a 9'-12' asymmetrically vaulted ceiling.

This is my first foray in "room treatment." I'd appreciate any suggestions or ideas on how to make these benefits permanent. I wouldn't mind using bass traps and the like but don't have a lot of free wall space to devote to these.
john_g
Address all first reflection points on front wall (the wall you are facing, the wall behind the speakers), the ceiling, the side walls, and the rear wall. If you are unsure how to proceed (like I was), purchase Jim Smith's book Get Better Sound, it offers a wealth of information. 
I purchased Primacoustic panels from Sweetwater Sound, covered all of the above points, and was AMAZED at the difference. Details, timbre, imaging, soundstage and even timing were all hugely improved in my dedicated listening room. Best $1000.00 investment ever. 
No matter the cost of the gear, the room will dictate 50% of what you're going to be able to hear.

Tom
A lot will depend on your budget and how "permanent" of a modification your willing to accept. Personally, I use a relatively inexpensive and non-permanent option of acoustic foam panels and foam bass traps.

And if I’m not mistaken, the info you read would have been from @erik_squires to me not all that long ago. I did try covering my flat panel television with a wool army blanket and it did have a noticeable effect :) Surprised he hasn’t chimed in yet, but he likely will.