Good Direct Drives

So I still keep thinking upgrading my current, Awia/Rega plinth/motor with debut arm and Ortofon cart turntable but after owning many years ago a few SL1200 and SL1210 MK2 and Mk5 I am hankering after a change in TT

But not sure what old model Technics or Pioneer to go for. Unless someone else can suggest another DD of this type etc

Thanks
bur70n
Clearthink,  I can only speak to what I’ve actually heard, so my data set is small but you speak about the hunting of servo controlled DD TT’s as a bad thing. I guess that would depend on the degree of the hunting . I have a VPI Prime with the roadrunner and eagle control which controls the speed to 3 decimal places, but the third decimal place is always hunting for stability as well, but I can’t hear the effect, so why should it matter if servo DD motors do the same as long as it can’t be noticeably perceived?  Is there even a such thing as a perfect speed TT - I wouldn’t think so. 

Also I grant you that the Prime isn’t the “end all” belt driven TT but it’s no slouch either and it was $4k, so would the Prime be considered a serious TT?

@clearthink As an example, several reviewers have found that the RP8 runs fast straight out of the factory. Rega does not correct the problem. Intentional?  
Clearthink:
There are a number tests of the Technics 1200 online.  I don't know of any that agree with your statement.

Here is one:
http://archimago.blogspot.com/2014/08/measurements-technics-sl-1200-m3d-wow.html

Personally, I have listened very closely to my 1200 and don't hear anything of the sort.  YMMV...
I went from a KAB modded SL-1200MK2 to the SL1210GR.  

The improvement in sound quality of the GR was noticeable immediately. If you can make $1700 work, you will be completely amazed and satisfied. 
It is a great table.  Absolutely amazing value.  I cannot believe that  Technics can do this.  I heard the arm on the 1210GR and they definitely have a lot of what is going on in the 1200G arm on the GR table.  Quite incredible