We Need A Separate Forum for Fuses

LOL, I'll bet I gotcha on that Title! ;)  BTW, I put this thread under "Tech Talk" category as it involves the system physically, not tangentially. 

More seriously, two question survey:

1. Do you think designer fuses are A) a Gift to audiophiles, or B) Snake Oil 

2. Have you ever tried them?  Yes or No

In the tradition of such questions on Agon, I'll weigh in as we go along... 
Feel free to discuss and rant all you wish, but I would like to see clear answers to the questions. :) 
douglas_schroeder
douglas_schroeder
It might be interesting to see how many fuse Skeptics and Adopters own digital or analogue front ends. Could we add this to the survey?
I'm a skeptic with both analog and digital front ends, but I'm not a naysayer. I learned long ago not to judge the sound of anything without listening. Similarly, I won't buy a car I haven't driven, or buy a suit I haven't tried on first.

I'll probably experiment with a fuse or two sometime. It just isn't high on my priority list.

Meanwhile, everyone here should be able to discuss their experiences without some of the acrimony that results, imo.

@geoffkait "The fusible element is comprised of thick film gold that is deposited on a thermally and electrically insulated substrate. A complete range of fusing values is achievable by precisely controlling the fusible element print thickness and geometry. Thick film silver termination pads are placed at each end of the thick film fusible element. The fusible element is completely covered with an arc suppressive glass."

That's exactly the material I used to R&D and produce.  Beyond the full spectrum of thick film, we also made thin (metallorganic and organometallic) film, gold powders, glass (sounds like a single item, but we had too many formulations to list or discuss here), dielectric tapes, solder, etc.  Most fun at work I ever had, and a fair number of us were audiophiles.

Whose thick film did you use, and what means did you use to apply them?  Your substrate was alumina or something else?
I was quoting an article on the subject of the then new NASA fuses. I mentioned in my post it was an excerpt of an article. ‘‘Twas not I. My association with NASA ended long before that article was published.

I absolutely hear a difference upgrading fuses, it makes a HUGE benefit to the sound for relatively little money.  I've loved the Hi Fi Tuning fuses, but haven't tried the Synergistic Fuses yet.  

@ fleschler -  Was the 5A circuit breaker you tried inplace of the fuse a thermal or magnetic circuit breaker?  Is the SR Blue the best sounding fuse you have tried?
I realize I’ve posted some of these before somewhere along the line but maybe it’s good to post them again. We’ll see. 😬 Without further ado here are some suggestions for further improving any newfangled high end fuse. Or any stock fuse.

1. Cryogenically treat the fuse. The cryo lab (if he’s a nice guy) will cryo it free.

2. Alternative to cryoing - Freeze the fuse in the home freezer, 2-4 Days recommended, let thaw in main refrigerator section for 4 hours.

3. Apply contact enhancer to end caps. If you already have established correct fuse direction be sure to maintain correct orientation.

4. Alternative to contact enhancer: paint both encapsulated with permanent violet/purple marker.

5. Wedge a thin slice of natural cork under the fuse holder as counter vibration measure.

6. Make a “tent” out of mu metal and cover fuse and fuse holder. Since mu metal is VERY CONDUCTIVE cover both sides and all edges of the mu metal with adhesive paper or vinyl.

7. Apply WA Quantum Chip for Fuse to the body of the fuse. WA Quantum Chips are still available from distributors such as VH Audio. WA Quantum Chips come in various flavors for capacitors, inductors/transducers, speakers, breaker box, cables, etc.

8. It goes without saying the fuse, even if it’s a stock fuse, will sound significantly better in one direction than the other.

Your friend and humble scribe,

Geoff Kait, Machina Dynamica