Thiel Owners

Guys-

I just scored a sweet pair of CS 2.4SE loudspeakers. Anyone else currently or previously owned this model?
Owners of the CS 2.4 or CS 2.7 are free to chime in as well. Thiel are excellent w/ both tubed or solid-state gear!

Keep me posted & Happy Listening!
jafant

Good to see you - dhoff01

hope you are well and playing good music today.

Happy Listening!

I've wondered why I've found that using speaker level inputs on a sub frequently sound better to me than using the low level or sub inputs.  In some cases, it's definitely been that the line-level source I was using couldn't run the two sets of interconnects well.  When I used two pairs of interconnects on a benchmark dac1 or dac2, the quality of bass was definitely degraded.  On the other hand, this problem isn't there when I have a bryston bp25 preamp between the benchmark and the power amps/subs.  I recently bought a bryston bp26 so now I have two bryston preamps and two benchmark dacs in two systems.  I hope to be able to do some meaningful comparisons at some point.  Little kids keep me too busy for much audio hobby stuff.
 tmsrdg,
I was going to buy either a Rel or Svs.A local dealer that I trust recommended a GoldenEar SuperSub xxl.After reading Absolute Sound’s review of SuperSub,I took one home.Msrp was 2 k,dealer sold it to me for 1600 out the door,new in box.I really liked the Svs Ultra,but think SuperSub Is a little better!Ive had it for about a year,with nothing but good things to say about it.Using pre outs of preamp,instead of sub output made the sub come to life!Blends seamlessly with my 3.7’s.Absolute Sound said it was very musical,and it is!Im using one sub,right inside of my left speaker.A bass crawl test gave me that location.I think one sub is enough for me!Adding a subwoofer to my 3.7’s made everything more fun to listen it.I couldn’t imagine not using a sub now!Good luck with your sub search!Finding the right piece is half the fun!

jon_5912,

As I think I detailed somewhere in this thread, I didn't have the luck I hoped using the speaker level inputs on JL Audio Subwoofers for my Thiel 2.7s.  It seemed to such a bit of life out of the dynamics, transients, and also darkened the overall tone too much.

I tried the RCA inputs (running from my CJ pre-amp) and that sounded a bit better dynamically, but still darkened the tone too much.   My CJ preamp probably isn't the best for driving the long runs (30 to 40 ft) cables I had to use.  So I have the JL Audio active crossover now which I'll be setting up soon (hopefully).  That in theory should work better, and it will be the first time I'm actually splitting the signal to the Thiels, probably between 60 - 80 Hz - instead of running them full range.

Fingers crossed.
prof, you need to listen to just your sub without the speakers playing.  Use the online tone generator to see if the sub is producing sound at midrange frequencies.  If it is, something is probably wrong with it or the setup.  In my opinion it's illogical to fuss around with sub setup and dissatisfaction with the sound without measuring the room.  If you've got a big hump somewhere that could be your problem.  I recently got my old Behringer ultracurve out, hooked it up to the sub and measured the room.  The room had some big bumps in the deep bass that definitely made it sound thick and slow in certain spots.  I cut the two bump frequencies by 3 and 4 db and it sounds great now.  I didn't come anywhere near equalizing it completely flat but I cut enough to get rid of the overloaded room sound.  In the past I eq'd my system completely flat using huge cuts and it doesn't sound right.  A little bit of moderate eq can be a definite improvement, though.

onlinetonegenerator.com/