What does moving from a 150 watt amp to a 400 watt amp get you?

Hi all, I’m coming back to tap the knowledge of the forum again.  I have a pair of revel ultima studio 2s that I very much enjoy. I’m currently running them with an Ayre V-5xe.  I’ve seen others say that these speakers need to be driven by 400 Watts to get them to sound their best.  I sort of understand the relationship between wattage and sound volume, but if I am not looking for “louder” what do I get with a more powerful amp?  I don’t hear clipping. More current?  But what does that do?  Sorry for my ignorance!
miles_trane
Indeed. Your amplifier is more than powerful enough for the P3ESR. In fact, you will need to exercise some caution. You are fine. You did not say how large the room is, but if the room is medium size or larger, the only thing you could do to get a 'bigger'sound is add two small subs like the SVS SB1000 and an Antimode 8033 (but don't add subs if the room is small).
@wolf_garcia  You haven't lived until you've heard a pair of original Futterman H3AA's with KLH Nines or Quad 57's! Sublime musicality rarely equaled!
, but if I am not looking for “louder” what do I get with a more powerful amp? I don’t hear clipping. More current? But what does that do? Sorry for my ignorance!miles_trane

Don’t fall into the BS that more watts is more powerfull.
These 25w ML 2 amps
http://www.hifido.co.jp/photo/05/504/50446/c.jpg
can sound more powerful than some 500w amps on certain speakers, because it can deliver good current down to 1ohm, where the 500w may start to sag below 8ohms.
Good current delivery of an amp is a sign of a "tested" amp to be able to come "close" to doubling it’s rated wattage for each halving of load impedance.

In this case the ML2’s (slightly exaggerated)
25w-8ohm
50w-4ohm
100w-2ohm
200w-1ohm

Cheers George

I use high power amps, but do not confuse power with quality. Two 300 watt per channel amps, at completely different price points, are not comparable. There are diminishing returns, but do not expect a $3,000 stereo amp to sound like a pair of $15,000 mono blocks.