SME IV Tonearm and Warped Records

I love my SME turntable and tonearm, but one frustration I have is that warped records will bump the base of the tonearm as it tracks toward the end of a record side.  The taper in this tonearm design does not allow for much clearance from the record edge.  I can raise the tonearm in the mount, increasing the VTA, but the sound is not as good, so I do not consider this a good option.  I guess I am left to only play flat records, or buy one of the devices to flatten warped records.  Or, I can replace my tonearm, but I'd rather not do that.  

Anyone else experience this issue and solve it in ways I have not considered?
128x128snackeyp
invictus005
All cartridges should have their tops parallel to the record’s surface and all of those angles you speak of will be correct if the manufacturer didn’t muck something up during assembly. If the cartridge is out of spec, get a new one. Simple as that.
It’s not even remotely that simple, which is why tools like the WallyTractor and Fozgometer exist. Your oversimplification also completely ignores tangency, which is a critical aspect of proper phono cartridge alignment.

It’s fine to subscribe to the "close enough" school of turntable setup, but just silly to insist it’s sufficient for all, and even sillier to dismiss Fremer’s approach as "ridiculous."

You guys honestly think that you can accurately measure stylus and cantilever geometries?
Certainly, and many think it’s worth the effort. You can also use test records to measure the result.
@snackeyp,

I agree with vusi-khumalo. Adding a spacer isn’t an ideal solution, if you like your cartridge/arm it is an easy inexpensive fix. I made one out of carbon fiber for my ET 2.5 arm when I bought an Acutex 420 STR as the cartridge pins are at such an angle that I could not attach the leads.

@invictus005,

The top of the cartridge/parallel approach is just a good starting point. The magic happens when you spend some time further dialing it in.

I use a heavy outer ring and a center record weight. They flatten all my moderately warped records very well.
@invictus005,

"why not throw the warped records away and get flat ones?"

Have you no heart? Have you no soul?