Missing the Old Days

I’m new to the higher end audio game. What I don’t know about modern audiophile technology and doctrine could fill a library.

What I do know is how I like to listen to my music, which I’m quite sure would make some crinkle their eyes and squint at me with a look of “my lord son, really?” Kinda look lol.

My first foray into good speakers are my current Goldenear Triton 5’s and my JL D108 Sub. They sound nice....very nice...but they just don’t sound the way I like. So now I’ll soon hook them up to a Parasound Halo A21/P5 which I’m sure will improve the sound.

However, I’m aware that it still may not deliver the goods for me personally. I miss the days of those big, solid, powerful speakers that’d shake the dust off your shelves and make the squirrels living in your my attic fear for their lives. 

I miss my trusty old MTX AAL 2230’s. They weren’t fancy, they certainly weren’t overly detailed, but they kicked ass. They kicked a lot of ass. Where are the speakers that can deliver big sound, driving Bass and clarity without the need to run 1 or 2 Subs? Speakers that are powerhouses without costing 10, 15, 20 thousand or more? There used to be a time when you could go to any number of local Stereo shops and have multiple choices of all ranges of speakers and equipment. I have to drive an hour or more to find any store remotely close to that.

I’ve seen Tyler Acoustics, but I’m Leary. No dealers, only direct sales, very generic specs, and hardly any reviews anywhere. I’d like to hear a few of his models, the cheaper Halo 1’s that closely resemble my beloved MTX’s just look like a white van special Speaker with those shiny black woofers.

Maybe I’m just an old Deadhead stuck in the past, but if there are speakers like this out there that are quality and don’t cost as much as a car, I’d love to hear about them!
128x128bigjohn9095
The JTRs can do refinement, here's a video of the baby JTR towers, and, yes, I know, you're not going to get the full effect via YouTube played on computer speakers, but you can still hear the 'live-ness' and detail of the sound.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7J8IyZ6idxQ

The JBL stuff can be great too.  Their new LSR7 Series powered speakers can also rock out, and they measure better than many of the older 4300 and 4400 speakers.  Plus with the built-in amps, it's one less thing you have to buy.
Hey get yourself a Pair of Bose 901s and a carver pre amp and carver 250 wpc amp and bring the walls down ....lol.
I've had Tyler Acoustics speakers for several years.  Very satisfied and I've seen plenty of reviews online plus tons of discussion.  Give Ty a call and discuss options.  He is super friendly and very knowledgeable about the industry and his competition.   
Something you won’t see recommended here very often but it seems like the Power Sound Audio (PSA) 210T’s are calling your name. 
Visit the website and chat with the Tom the owner. 
Free shipping, Made in the USA and ~ $1000 a piece. 
The Double Impacts are good, BUT...I’d have to put a vote in for Viking Acoustics Berlin R horn loaded speakers. They are a medium size monitor stand speaker that can play unbelievably loud with stupendous dynamics and marvelous tone. NO horn coloration. There have been a couple on Audiogon with one under $6000 used with stands. Said to be one of the best 7 sounding loudspeakers made--no cost considered. The Berlin R’s go for about $14,000 new. They have beautiful carved wood horns and stands also. They are now making a MK II model that costs over $20,000 that is an improvement over the original model. The horn is slightly larger and there are other small changes to elevate the model. True 97 db at I mtr. speakers. Can use most any quality amp including SET’s. They have great bass as it also receives the horn loading. You would not guess they were smaller speakers at all. Tremendous micro and macro details with no etch.

If you can wait a couple months, the Aether Audio speakers company will be returning with a vengeance and their speakers are very similar to the Berlin R.  They use a waveguide on the tweeter and are heavy, but medium sized stand mounted speakers they are ultra dynamic and able to go deep with power and PLAY LOUD with no etch or irritation.

Bob