Missing the Old Days

I’m new to the higher end audio game. What I don’t know about modern audiophile technology and doctrine could fill a library.

What I do know is how I like to listen to my music, which I’m quite sure would make some crinkle their eyes and squint at me with a look of “my lord son, really?” Kinda look lol.

My first foray into good speakers are my current Goldenear Triton 5’s and my JL D108 Sub. They sound nice....very nice...but they just don’t sound the way I like. So now I’ll soon hook them up to a Parasound Halo A21/P5 which I’m sure will improve the sound.

However, I’m aware that it still may not deliver the goods for me personally. I miss the days of those big, solid, powerful speakers that’d shake the dust off your shelves and make the squirrels living in your my attic fear for their lives. 

I miss my trusty old MTX AAL 2230’s. They weren’t fancy, they certainly weren’t overly detailed, but they kicked ass. They kicked a lot of ass. Where are the speakers that can deliver big sound, driving Bass and clarity without the need to run 1 or 2 Subs? Speakers that are powerhouses without costing 10, 15, 20 thousand or more? There used to be a time when you could go to any number of local Stereo shops and have multiple choices of all ranges of speakers and equipment. I have to drive an hour or more to find any store remotely close to that.

I’ve seen Tyler Acoustics, but I’m Leary. No dealers, only direct sales, very generic specs, and hardly any reviews anywhere. I’d like to hear a few of his models, the cheaper Halo 1’s that closely resemble my beloved MTX’s just look like a white van special Speaker with those shiny black woofers.

Maybe I’m just an old Deadhead stuck in the past, but if there are speakers like this out there that are quality and don’t cost as much as a car, I’d love to hear about them!
128x128bigjohn9095
AND Big John,

Nothing wrong with being an old Deadhead....The Klipsch Heresys playing a WB Green Label pressing of Live/Dead is an absorbing listen!!!!
Thats is an easy question to answer  I have 8 pairs in my collection  that would work for you.

here's the list
Most of the JBL L line from the 70s
L100's
L50's
L26 
To name a few
All have great attack and play other genres of music well to. 

Celestion Ditton 
Great bass and a warmer east coast sound

IMF
TLS 50
TLS 80 
Awsome in all regards. 

Infinity Kappa 8

Many early Acoustic ResearchTeledyne Era
AR9
AR90, 91, 92 AR3

Match them with a Bryston 3b or 4b series amp and a matching Bryston B1 pre amp plus a quality DAC, important like a NAD M51 or again a Bryston bd1
You will have an awesome system that will play any music very well. 

Bonus... Under $4k  total and the equipment will hold its value or appreciate in value. 

If any of the speakers above have not been recapped it is well worth doing. 

For the record I currently have now or have had all the gear mentioned above. 

Good luck  

.... Plus pick up a nice Thorens or a Rega planar 3 Turntable  for under $500.00

You will be laughing all the way to Audio Nervana with out emptying you bank account. 
Chrisoshea, now that’s what I’m talking about! Always love those old WB Green Label pressings!

Since I just bought my Parasound Halo A21/P5 setup and haven’t even taken them out of the box yet, the chances of me turning them over into something different and possibly more expensive won’t happen if I want to live! Lol

When I was at Holm Audio which is a Hi-Fi /HT store about and hour and a half North of me in the Chicago area, I was checking out the Rega Planar 6 & 9 models. I have my eyes on something a bit different for my eventual next TT.. for now my Debut Carbon will do.

I do know what I want for sound and I guess that answer means unless I find something that gives me both the bombastic live rock sound AND that detailed, accuracy, I’ll end up with two systems lmao..

for now I’m gonna focus on new speakers and save the vintage stuff for a separate journey when I finally obtain that mint Pioneer SX-1980 or Marantz 2600!

i was giving Klipsch another look last night, I’ve heard some of their floor speakers before and wasn’t overly thrilled, that’s strange sine I have a Klipsch Soundbar and a pair of ear buds that I both like.

What’s up with those Ref7 III’s and Fortes? Their specs don’t look like they go very low on the Bass.. anyone have or had any of them? 
Zu Omen Def would fit your needs nicely.  Or even Zu Omen Dirty Weekends if you wanted to dip your toe in the water for $999 and trade them in for full credit within a year.  The Dirty Weekends play plenty loud, but Omen Def will bring the squirrels and girls to the party. 

And you get 60 days to try them in your home without paying a dime if you don't like em.