Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
orpheus 10

I have enjoyed your comments on this issue . I too agree it is fruitless to debate what is or isn't "jazz". I have been listening to jazz for the better part of 4 decades(all types) and have seen it go through many changes, assimilating other forms of music to bring something new to the table.
I believe that jazz , at it's ESSENCE , does evoke change and evolution by the creative artists who participate. I believe it's part of the natural scheme of things.
Every night when a jazz musician gets on the bandstand he or she is changing the music they play. Every time they solo the music is evolving as they are playing differently than previous engagements.
A perfect example of a musician looking for change and a new direction is Miles Davis in 1959 when KOB was recorded. Looking for a move away from the chord changes of bebop which had dominated the music for almost 15 years he consulted with George Russell whose musical theory was based around scales.He bought in Bill Evans , who was also familiar with these theories and the freeing harmonically from chord changes allowed the music to expand melodically and creating a major change in jazz music. And these changes in the music have continued with styles labeled as "free jazz", "post bop" , "free bop", "jazz-rock", etc. BTW it is no surprise that Miles Davis dropped the term "jazz" when describing his music. It is well documented that many african-american musicians did not like the term jazz which was coined by whites who controlled the business .
 I think where this discussion gets bogged down is in STYLISTIC differences. And as you said appreciation of music is subjective. I say if the music touches your heart and soul and you like it ,great. If someone else doesn't like it as you say "let it be"'.
An example of subjective response to music is frogman stating previously that Charlie Mariano was his favorite alto sax player (BTW I have been trying to dig into the archives to see what subjects were previously covered and contributors feelings on the subject)  . I was impressed that he said he would not say Mariano is the "best" sax player as this would be a "dicey" proposition. This goes to the element of subjectivity. I like Charlie Mariano a lot but  Art Pepper is my favorite alto player. But I also would not say he is the "best " in his category as this denigrates the contribution of others. I might try to explain why he is my favorite but that doesn't make him "better" than someone else's alto sax choice. This type of back and forth bickering that has been going on makes no sense. As you said "agree to disagree"

To  label a group of musicians such as the latest generation as "changing the music so they could play it " suggests that these newer musicians are dumbing down jazz music. Which is in no way true.   I  agree with frogman when he said today's musicians are better trained than in the past and can do more different things . Does that make them better than musicians of the past ?Not necessarily.
I may make this point: that when jazz music changes stylistically that the listener may change how they listen to the music to be able to appreciate what the musicians are attempting to convey. Or to put it another way it takes a different set of ears to absorb and appreciate a new direction. Some people try and they get it , others try and the  music does not resonate with them.  I have been lucky to absorb and appreciate many of the new directions in jazz.
I don't want to go on forever so i will wrap it up. frogman I feel your frustration and appreciate your thoughts.
I would like to pose a  question for anyone on jazz standards.  Can participants in this forum name more "current " songs by artists they feel  should be or are jazz standards? Or is the selection of jazz standard decided by the musicians themselves by those who play other frequently other's tunes? Just what is the process?
I appreciate the feedback of all.

@nsp - I 100 percent agree with all of your points. I love Miles, Dizzy, Trane, Monk, Nina, Ella, Cannonball, Jimmy Smith, Sonny Rollins, Art Blakey, Bird, Art Pepper, Ben Webster, Ray Brown, Chet Baker, Stan Getz, Antonio Carlos Jobim, and Oscar Peterson to name a few.  I also think some of best part of jazz music during that era was that they all recycled certain songs, songs today we call standards and each one of them gave us their own interpretations of it. But I also love today's music as well. Cats like Christian McBride, Joshua Redman, Marcus Miller, Ben Williams Esperanza Spaulding, Charlie Hunter, Roy Hargrove, Kenny Garrett also to name a few. All I believe has made songs that I believe will be jazz standards one day. I'm a big George Benson fan, but I notice he doesn't get the same run as some other guitarist on this thread. Why, because he crossed over? All nonsense to me because he has made some of the greatest contributions to this art form. The same of the late great George Duke. I love jazz music as it's a part of my everyday life. Music is personal, if it moves you, grooves you, makes your head nod, foot tap, fingers snap or inspires you that artist has completed his goal. Judging eras in music is as silly as judging athletes you can't. Simply because we can't speak to ones music connection or motivation. I thank God for our legends of the past and for those today that were inspired by them. I ask the question, what is life without music? God gave us these fabulous artist to satisfy us all from within, why must we spend our time trying to decide who is better. Enjoy the music and accept our blessing.

Cheers

nsp, these are some of my speculations in regard to why new jazz just doesn't "wig" me.

I spoke of "origination", which is where the musician, and the listener came from. When they both came from one of the major cities, they were on the same frequency, and communicated. Now that so much, meaning a large part of our major cities no longer exist, it complicates things. Music does not exist in a vacuum.

Clubs in our major cities were where so many jazz artists honed the art of making jazz. Presently, the jazz environment is in a flux. If you look to somebody from the country to produce good jazz after going to a good music school, you might be disappointed.

So many times I hear about how good the artists in the past are compared to today. I've also noticed how today's artists can excel at playing classical, but not jazz, or they can play jazz as long as it's written down. That tells me artists of today, are as good as artists of yesterday, when it comes to their instrument, but they haven't mastered the jazz vocabulary or feel.

The improvising skills required to play good jazz are honed in night clubs with other jazz musicians. If these clubs, and that environment don't exist, the music has to come up short.

In the meantime, while the new jazz musicians work out the kinks, I'll be listening to the old jazz.