Digitizing LPs

I know this is an analog section, but I thought perhaps folks with a analog LPs might know more about this so I’ll ask if anyone has expertise in copying/digitizing LPs, the software needed, the equipment needed. And maybe most importantly, how tough is this job to do and get good results?? I don’t want to create CDs, I just want to send a copy of each to hard drives so I can stream them. I am digitizing my CDs too.

I should say I have a good start on it, a Windows 7 Desktop with attached Musical Fidelity Preamp with phono stage, Adcom amp, Spendor speakers, and ASUS Xonar Essence STX soundcard, and a choice of turntables. Still, I know I’ll need another piece of gear. Is that a USB DAC? If so, how good does this have to be? Or put another way, do I need to spend a lot of money on this?
128x128echolane
I use a korg MR2000 direct to DSD.

The quality of the conversion is an excellent

The Tascam DA-3000 does a nice job recording LPs to DSD and hi-res PCM. To improve the Tascam, check the archives here and on Audio Asylum for my suggested internal modifications. Adding to that, I recently had good results treating pins on its internal wire harnesses with Perfect Path Total Contact graphene paste (as discussed in the "New Tweak" thread.)

DSD slightly surpasses 24/192 PCM recording on the Tascam. However, for noisy albums you need PCM to employ declicking software. I do that with Vinyl Studio. However, in automatic sweep mode VS’s declicker degrades general SQ. This may or may not be an issue for you, depending on the quality of your analog front end. If anyone is using a less intrusive declicker, please post.

If you want to digitise your vinyl, you will need an ADC, and you will need a DAW. 
I would look into the pro marked for a good external soundcard. I use a Metric Halo ULN-8, but there are many to choose from. RME and Lynx are high quality, as is Metric Halo and a lot of others. For a DAW, I would look no further than Audacity, which is open-source and free.