Golden ear Technology reference

Has anybody heard or does anybody own the Golden Ear Technology Reference speaker that retails for $8500.00
per pair?  Would like to hear your insights and opinions.
Thank you.
128x128kjl1065
Ozzy........................

They can be removed but not very easily.  You need to remove the base of the speaker and remove 2 screws on the bottom of the grill.  It then slides up and off..  The speakers sound much better with the grills on however and they were voiced that way.  I have not heard anything about damaging the drivers.  I think because it takes a lot of time to remove them, the dealer gave it the brush off.  I am a very curious type of guy, but I havben't taken the grills off mine.  The speakers are too heavy for 1 person to move so I am content the way it
Hi ozzy.

Not true, however, I understand the dealers apprehension in wanting (or not wanting) to remove the grills. There is a flyer (obtainable by emailing Golden Ear, or you can PM me) and the procedure itself is doable by a "lay person". However, it involves lying the speaker on its back, removing screws from the underside of the base and *carefully" lifting/pulling the grill forward. Personally, I wish it were a bit easier.

That said, of course you realize there are plenty of photos of the drivers, readily and widely available. Still, I agree with you that it would be nice if the grill could be *easily* removed.

But if the grill is removed correctly and the speaker is handled properly there wouldn’t be any kind of damage.

EDIT:

Note there is no Golden Ear published literature as to how to remove the side radiator panel grills. I posted a procedure and pictures on the Golden Ear forum. This is much more easily accomplished. I would recommend doing this (removing them). Why? Because when you see the quality of the workmanship, not just the radiators, it is rather convincing. 
stereo5,

Thanks for clearing that up. All the magazine pictures show them with the grills off. 
When you buy them do they come with the grills already attached?

ozzy
You’re welcome, @ozzy

See my edit in my previous post regarding the radiator grills.

In answer to your question, yes, the grills (all) are on and the base is attached when boxed new.