Some of the Worst Offenders in Bad Audio Forum Behavior Are Not Regular Forum Members

I've noticed first hand a disturbing trend over at Stereophile for the past couple of years that whenever someone knowledgeable challenges the mantra put forth by some of their editors, the Chief Editor, Mr. Atkinson, demands that the poster put forth personal information about themselves and any possible affiliations they may have with regard to employment that Mr. Atkinson might consider some kind of conflict of interest. Most notably, this occurred recently with a user named Archimago - a popular member of Computer Audiophile who extensively examined MQA, it's claims, and the claims made for it by Stereophile staff. Mr. Atkinson repeatedly challenged the author for his identity and professional affiliations - without which, he would disregard the message conveyed by said forum member. Mr. Atkinson has gone even further in other instances of which I personally witnessed first hand. He insists on banning from Stereophile's forum anyone whom he believes has a duty to publicly identify themselves without specifying the criteria behind the demand - other than that an industry affiliation might exist. I would encourage readers here to visit Computer Audiophile and search for Archimago /MQA discussions to see what I'm on about first hand.

The point of raising this is not necessarily to drag Mr. Atkinson through the mud but to highlight a key aspect of hypocrisy with respect to Mr. Atkinson's "policy" and how that relates to ALL online forums. Time and again, we're reminded in various forums when ideas are presented and challenged in a heated atmosphere - "FOCUS ON THE SUBJECT MATTER - NOT THE CREDENTIALS OR PERCEIVED FAILINGS OF THE INDIVIDUAL MAKING HIS OR HER POINT". This in my view has always been good advice. When we "play the ball" and not  "the man", it is much easier to maintain a civil exchange of ideas/experiences.  So where does Mr. Atkinson's insistence on identifying qualifications of the person fit in to this concept? It seems that every time he or a staff member is personally challenged for facts, he resorts to this "policy" as a form of censorship.  So basically what I"m saying here is that there's plenty of evidence that in some circles, the very people who should be encouraging us all to focus on the merits of the message - letting it stand or fall on its own without involving the supposed "credentials" of the messenger, - these people are in fact the worst offenders among us. Instead of setting a good example and sticking to it, they are doing the opposite while on occasion imploring the rest of us "regular members" to "do as I say - not as I do". I no longer participate in Stereophile forums because of this obvious cute form of censorship that has been employed. I hope that kind of thing never happens here on Audiogon. My guess, however, is that since Agon moderators aren't in the business of promoting/reviewing certain products that come along, that issue is not likely to present itself.
In any case, how do you feel about the privacy rights of other forum members? Should everyone be required to put forth their real name and potential industry affiliation or should that only apply to people who appear to be trying to sell something other than knowledge in the course of posting?
cj1965
I’m into this for the music and business has always played a far down the line second fiddle. Probably why I’m not as successful as I could be.

A wise businessman (business oriented) would have never participated in this thread at any price.

Sadly, the ones who are in it for the money will receive benefit from my participation. Such is the world.
Very true, in this part of it anyway .
Sorry , I shouldn't have been so flippant .
cj1965,

JA is a friend of mine and I don’t appreciate your coming over here disparaging him. Plus you’re a coward since he can’t defend himself. Crawl back under whatever rock you came from. Still think that’s comic relief? 
@teo_audio

Miracle of miracles - there are plenty of things we actually agree on, who knew? As to the demise or substantial "shrinkage" of the high end market segment, I don't think you can lay it all at the feet of portable phones and the MP3 generation or digital audio. And notice I didn't say the high end's downward spiral is completely attributable to a trade press that's resting on a house of cards. To wit:

" Sadly, this pay to play game HAS HELPED decimate what was at one time a much larger market segment. " cj1965

You cannot deny with a straight face that page after page after page, month after month of flakey commentary about $100,000 speakers, $75000 amps, "modestly priced" $3000 cables hasn't had a detrimental effect on trade show attendance and enthusiasm for new "affordable" hi fidelity equipment. And yes, the internet and online shopping has put a major hurt on brick and mortar establishments which in turn has struck at the heart of the high end retail audio sales business model. The direct marketing model used by some manufacturers has caused overall market shrinkage as the squeeze on retailers has ultimately hurt accessibility and thus market sustainability. Without a nearby auditioning location, having to fly to the nearest retailer to listen to the latest Dynaudio or Nelson Pass offering tends to put a damper on the whole exercise. So it is multi faceted in that poor accessibility coupled with trade show/magazine obsession with high priced audio jewelry has put a major damper on enthusiasm for the high end. If the only purveyors left standing are peddling overpriced jewelry, it's simply a matter of time before the house of cards collapses or chokes on its own hot air.