New Speakers ... Can't Stop "Listening"

I’ve had my new JA Pulsars for about a month now, and something really strange has happened ... I’m actually interested in "listening" to the music. With my old B&Ws, I’d put on the system and read or surf the internet; being "involved" with the music typically was not something I had experienced. Now, reading a magazine or surfing the ’net is virtually impossible. It's almost as if I'm compelled to pay attention. I never knew I could be so engaged by my system. Other than greater detail, what am I hearing now that I hadn’t heard before? Has anyone had a similar experience?
rlb61
@ozzy62 not complaining at all. I am just enjoying the comedy show that initially started on Nov 2016..
:-)

Oz, I enjoy your posts very much. However, I don't know what the post above has to do with the Pulsars.
Scroll up to the top of the page on 4/16 for the posts in question, they are back to back. It will all become clear.

Oz

hi @rlb61 - Well, without measuring there is no way to tell exactly what was done for Joseph Audio. This is quite typical work by the way. Changes to the impedance, or suspension to accommodate target enclosures or crossovers are often done, plus they make the drivers "unobtanium" for the average consumer. 

Note that those are a little smaller than the drivers in the kit I was recommending. 

As for the crossover, I don't know what they are actually using. Perhaps that notch in impedance is evidence of their unique style? 

Still, every audiophile should build their own speakers at least once in their hobby's lifetime. These are top quality parts engineered by experts and an excellent value. 

Imagine the fun rolling your own capacitors and tuning the levels yourself instead of swapping amps and cables. 

Best,

E
Found the review for the JA Perspectives,

https://www.stereophile.com/content/joseph-audio-perspective-loudspeaker

which are closer in line to the SEAS kit I was suggesting.

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/2.5-way-speaker-kits/seas-delling-excel-kit-pair/

Around $3k for the kit, assuming cabinetry from Lee Taylor.

http://www.taylorspeakers.com/

Around $13k for the perspectives.

I think that if you are at all interested in building a kit, and want to try for something similar this is a worthwhile investment. Again, a major advantage to this is the ability to tune the entire speaker to taste with a little measurement and a little know-how. You may never buy fancy cables again. :)

Best,

E
Shame I can't post images. So looking at the Stereophile review for the Perspectives, and the data at Madisound, the crossovers are entirely different. 

One of the main results appears to be the lowering of the tweeter / woofer frequency with the JA. The kit crosses around 3 kHz, the JA around 1.8 kHz. In order to support this, you need steeper crossover slopes so that the tweeter gets cut off faster. JA appears to use 18 dB/octave (3rd order) while the kit uses about 10 dB/octave (closer to 2nd order). 

If you knew a little about crossover design you could attempt this without using a magical crossover though. Also, there are some overall differences. JA's tweeter is tuned a little bright, and they deal with a slight hump of the drivers around 1 kHz which the kit does not. 

So, will they sound exactly the same? Probably not, but high quality parts with different directions were taken. Fun place to get started in DIY. 

Best,

E