Your thoughts about ATC loudspeakers

I’m interested in the ATC SCM-40 from their HiFi series and would like to hear from people who have owned or spent a lot of time with ATC speakers. This is a fairly new model and may be a bit of a departure from their classic sound.

At the show in Newport last weekend, I was quite taken by these speakers. I went back the next day and heard the same things that I liked about them, but a couple of red flags also went up:

Microdynamics – not sure these speakers do them well and microdynamics are critical to communicating inflection and nuance and to making music sound alive

Imaging, specifically wrt depth. Nothing much outside of the plane of the speakers, so recording venue info is not there and even instrument and vocal body may suffer a bit.

Were these shortcomings of setup or associated gear, or is this what ATC does?
Ag insider logo xs@2xdrubin
I wonder if the new tweeter has made a difference in how they sound at lower volumes.  I also wonder if they are voicing their home models more for moderate/low volume listening.  I've got a pair of active 110s that are definitely at their best when played fairly loudly.  It makes sense for speakers that are flat to sound the most realistic when they are played at a volume that is close to that of live music.  Since most people listen at lower than live volumes I think speakers that tip the bass and treble up a little bit sound better.  
Modest volume listening is always compromised at the frequency extremes and is not everyone’s cup of tea. The ATC SCM 40 mk2  do it as well, or better, than any loudspeakers I’ve owned.
Good point JB. Only speakers that have  non flat frequency responses sound good at low levels.

The ATC speakers are truthful and we have created amazing sound in our store on a 40w Naim Atom which played more than loud enough for most clients.

Dave and Troy
Audio Doctor NJ
@jon_5912

What at are you using as a source and preamp with the Active 110?

A tube preamp will warm up ATC as they simply reproduce what is fed to them...very faithful to the source.
I'm using a Bryston BP25 and benchmark dac1 along with a velodyne dd18.  It's a very unsuperstitious solid state system and I'm not complaining about it at all.  It's exactly what I wanted.  I'm just saying that I think most people like a system that isn't completely accurate.  Whether it's boom and sizzle or the tube midrange, color is popular.  I think a boosted treble and low end will sound better than flat to a lot of people who listen at low volume.