High End is Dead?

Browsing used audio sites such as Audiogon and the Marts, high end gear ads are dominated by several dealers. Non-dealer ads are usually people trying to push 15+ year old off-brand junk at 60-70% of MSRP (when they were new). They don't sell anything. You could slash Wilsons, Magicos, etc, 50% off retail and no one will buy them.

No one buys if it costs more than 1k. It's not that they're not interested -- the ads get plenty of views. It's that the asking prices are just way over the ability of buyers to pay. Fact is, if you see a high end piece for sale it's probably by a dealer, often times trying to push it at 15% off retail because its a trade in, but also often they are taking a good chunk off the price 30, 40 sometimes 50% off. They can be famous brands with a million positive reviews. No buyers.

Are we just poor, and that's all there is to it? 
madavid0
Anyone who says high end is changing to personal audio is just saying that the high end is dead. Cell phones sound like CRAP. Modern pop music is TRASH. I have a pretty good portable player and it merely sucks LESS.

Meanwhile I have a Technics network integrated up for 50% retail -- not a SINGLE response, even to tire-kick or to lowball. Is $2k a bridge too far? SAD!

Another +vote for Hell No - whart

I wanted to add that many consumers were stung financially during the last President's tenure. A stagnant economy against the general public, stagnant wages against the general public, no bail-out offered to the working folk, all adds up to purchasing less gear. Manufacturing increased in prices as well as retail MSRP.

The good news is that our Economy is rebounding and growing.

Financial confidence is returning for the general (buying) public.

Happy Listening!

I don't understand the proliferation of new turntables/arms at this year's AXPONA and Munich last year.  I just saw two new $23,000 turntables w/arms  from Einstein and Thales (the former's first turntable).  I think Levinson just came out with a VPI made table for $10,000.  That's a lot of money for new turntables.  TheAudioBeat had several other turntables reviewed this year at $37,500 for a Monaco 2.0 and a $9,000 Thales Compact.  It makes me think something is wrong with my VPI VI w/SME IV (modded) arm which cost less than half of most of those tables.  Am I mistaken, or are all these new $23,000 tables/arms really that good compared to 10 year old VPI tables (SME IV still sold at Acoustic Sounds)?