Tube Preamps.....

I am running 2 GFA 565 Musical Comcepts modded Amps with Vandersteen 2ce v2. I am looking for a good quality tube preamp. With or without a built in dac. Should I stick with shopping for a used Mac? Or should I look at others also. Suggestions? Like to keep it under $3000. Could stretch to 3500. Thanks for your input. 
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xpstores

I've had a McIntosh preamp, a Cary 6SN7-based preamp (selected over a CJ preamp), and now the LTA MZ2, also a 6SN7/12SN7 preamp. 

The MZ2 is far and away the best I've had, and a tube rolling funhouse.  You can tailor your tone preference with tube choice.

@jsm71 - What about the LTA MZ2 jumped out for you as better than the Cary/CJ/Mac?  
You really shouldn't drive that amp with a tube pream. The impedance mismatch will be detrimental 
Freya with Russian 6N8S (NOS) tubes is only $699. Better yet with Tung-Sol 6SN7 and Octal LISST upgrade tubes for $959.00.

I'm told this Freya Preamp will kill any Audio Research or CJ offering. 
I have the Valhalla 2 tube heaphone amp and drives my Sennheiser HD650 beautifully. 
The MZ2 adds nothing detrimental to the sound except dynamics and added soundstage size. It is a clear conduit otherwise. I agree that it’s the best preamp I’ve owned, much better than my AI Modulus.

I am testing the new Micro ZOTL Preamp now and it’s more of he same but better. To me the MZ2 is the best bang for the buck.