Full-Range to Monitors

Has anyone gone from a full-range to a monitor speaker? What motivated you to do so and were you happy with that choice?

rlb61
I have gone back and forth. I started with Miller & Kriesel satellite / subwoofer sets, then 2.5 way, now listen to a large custom 2-way "stand mount" with a sub for movies. 

What I have learned is that the smaller speakers stay away from the biggest problems in music and rooms: Bass. 

Integrating a true "full range" speaker without EQ into a room is nearly bonkers. 

The idea that small speakers are "fast" and big drivers are "slow" is 100% horse hockey. What matters is how well you'll get the bass integration into the room and speakers done. 

If I must do a "full-range" today I would bi-amp with DSP on the bass. If I cannot have this, I would rather get a smaller speaker.

Best,

E
Back in the 80s went from a big Boston Acoustics floor-stander (the one with the WIDE baffle) to some Mission stand-mounts. I did it because I'm a soundstage/imaging freak and the Missions did that much better. My current Vandy 2Cs do it even better than those Missions did.

Erik has already nailed IMO some very valid points so I won’t repeat,

”What I have learned is that the smaller speakers stay away from the biggest problems in music and rooms: Bass.

Integrating a true "full range" speaker without EQ into a room is nearly bonkers.

The idea that small speakers are "fast" and big drivers are "slow" is 100% horse hockey. What matters is how well you'll get the bass integration into the room and speakers done.”

It’s been about 6yrs that I had Dynaudio confidence c1’s but that was a monitor speaker that worked very well in a smaller room but also very well in my main system that was in a very large room and Offcourse had 2subs Intergrated with them.

Nowdays using a game changing all in one Lyngdorf 2170 with Room perfect correction helps with taking the room out of the equation and makes it so easy for intergration with any speaker or sub combo I have.

Enjoy,
Kenny.