Is a GREAT turntable under $2000 possible???

Howdy folks-

I’m really enjoying my current set up and return to 2.1 channel listening and Home Theater. Here’s what I’ve got:

-Mc402 Amp
-Anthem Mrx 520
-Oppo 103 Bdp with Scott Nixon tube dac
-Mac Mini with a Scott Nixon Usb tube dac
-Audience and Wireworld cables
-Tekton Electron speakers

I’d like to introduce vinyl to my evening listening pleasure. Any recommendations for a turntable (including arm, cartridge, etc) under $2000? Is this a reasonable figure? I have no clue when it comes to turntables so any advice given is surely appreciated.

Brent

128x128knollbrent
$2k? Maybe not off the shelf but you can certainly do what I did. Source a clean Garrard 401 for about $800. Make or buy a layered birch ply plinth and add a 12" Jelco 750 arm for $550. Optionally add an Audiosilente idler for $100. Add brass feet and sit table on solid level support and you will have a great table.

Old VPI’s are a safe bet table (good design, and built to last), and can be found cheap. I got an HW-19 Mk.2 for $500, and an Aries 1 with TNT-3/4 platter and bearing for $700 total (I got lucky). Add a new Jelco or Audiomods arm ($500-$800), and cartridge of your choice, and boom---LP music!

If you don’t want to buy used, look for a well made value priced table with a good cartridge. For example the Marantz TT 15S1 can be had for $1,499 and it comes with a Clearaudio Virtuoso ($800) cartridge. Clearaudio also makes the turntable for Marantz. It’s solid.

You have a number of options for a phono stage in the $500 range. Others can better provide advice for the phono stage.  There’s your $2,000 spend and this would work well.

Thanks everybody for your time and suggestions. I'm looking into your suggestions. The Technics is old school, I like that a lot. Music Hall 9.3 looks very good as well. I'll keep my eyes to the used turntables to see if I can get a steal there!