Is a GREAT turntable under $2000 possible???

Howdy folks-

I’m really enjoying my current set up and return to 2.1 channel listening and Home Theater. Here’s what I’ve got:

-Mc402 Amp
-Anthem Mrx 520
-Oppo 103 Bdp with Scott Nixon tube dac
-Mac Mini with a Scott Nixon Usb tube dac
-Audience and Wireworld cables
-Tekton Electron speakers

I’d like to introduce vinyl to my evening listening pleasure. Any recommendations for a turntable (including arm, cartridge, etc) under $2000? Is this a reasonable figure? I have no clue when it comes to turntables so any advice given is surely appreciated.

Brent

128x128knollbrent
Maybe a VPI Classic used for $1700-1800 including arm.  Add a Denon 103-D new cartridge or possibly a Denon 103-R used.  Either would be about $200-250.
Is the Japanese Technics version ok with the adapter or should I order a different one? Dont want to introduce excess noise???

Thanks for your help. Quite excited 
@knollbrent

I’m thinking the Lehman black cube statement and the Orotfon Quintet Bronze Cartridge will pair nicely.

Why do you think so? Just because someone use it ?

JLTi phono stage from Australia is amazing, with this phono stage you can try different loading with MM and MC cartridges.

If you’re looking for a new cartridges i would recommend to try Garrott P77i MM, if you need a LOMC and your phono stage is very good then look for the Audio-Technica.

Vintage cartridges like the AT-ML170, Grace F14, Stanton CS-100 WOS, Glanz MF-61, Pioneer PC-1000mkII are superior to the most of the modern LOMC and definitely much better than modern MM.

P.S. you need step-down transformer for japanese electronics, they are on ebay, Super SD-30 (30w) is what i've been using for my SP-10mkII before i bought 1000w step-down trans to connect everything. 

You should not plug the Japanese version directly into your US wall outlet as this will result in a 20% over voltage - it possibly could handle it for a while but you’d be pushing the internal regulators pretty hard. Their heat sinking is designed to only dissipate so much.  The small step down trafo I recommend above will do the job easily it’s rated, optimistically @ 500W, your turntable draws less than 10W.

You certainly can get better ones, in our GrooveMaster Turntables, the versions based upon the Denon DP80 which was only made as a 100V unit, I install a custom made made step down isolation transformer for an example.

Good Listening 

Peter