Moving from MM to MC

I have a Shure M97x cart and it's been fantastic, but itching to test the waters with MC carts. What is the biggest thing I will notice once I switch?

BTW thinking of getting the Denon DL 103 for around $220. That a good bang for the buck under $300?
bstatmeister
It's really impossible to offer you a meaningful suggestion without knowing more, such as what pickup arm and phono preamp you will be using with this cart.
I am currently using the TCC TC-750 from phonopreamps.com and I have to say that I really don't have any complaints about it. For the money I couldn't ask for more. Noise floor is dead silent and I am getting incredible detail coming rom my records. That being said, I have never heard a true high-end phono-preamp so ignorance is bliss?

Here is the rest of my set-up

Mains: Vandersteen 2C
Turntable: Technics SL1200 MKII (I got this brand new right before they ended production around 2010)
Tone arm: Stock with the turntable from Technics
Cartridge: Shure M97xe
Preamp: Using an Onkyo TX-SR805
Amp: Behringer EP 2500 (This is a pro Amp, it provide loads of power - 1200 watts per channel with a giant toroidal transformer, but it was quite loud with the stock fan, so I did a fan mod, now it's as quiet as a mouse)

If I upgrade to the Denon, I mighty start out with the MC phono section from the same site: https://www.phonopreamps.com/TC-760LCpp.html
it says it competes with the NAD at the relative price point.

Thanks for your feedback
I have a Shure M97x cart and it’s been fantastic

If this cartridge is fantastic for you then you will be blown away by a proper MM/MI cartridges you can still try for relatively low price. Few years ago a friend of mine asked for a cartridge, he came to my house with his Shure M97x, his own turntable is Technics SL1210mkII. He wouldn’t pay too much, so the competitive cartridge was Ortofon M20FL Super (under $350 normally). On the same turntable and on the same tonearm the Ortofon M20FL Super (nude FineLine stylus) was much better than Shure. Same Ortofon M20FL Super was praised by many experienced audiogon users in the beggining of Raul’s thread regarding MM vs. MC and that’s why i adviced his to try this first. I believe they can be tracked down for $250-350 (i still have NOS stylus).

Denon DL-103 is a joke, but it’s very popular because it’s very cheap. It’s funny, but people who’s buyin them cheap in stock condition then investing up to $500-700 more to replace a stock aluminum cantilever and conical tip, also to replace the plastic body. They are happy after everything has been replaced and upgraded, but it’s no longer a Denon stock sound, and it’s no longer a cheap affordable cartridge.

So you tell me why do you need a low complianbce DL-103 with conical tip when you can buy Denon DL-S1 or maybe Denon DL-1000 for example? Remember that your tonearm was designed for MM cartridges and definitely not for the low compliance cartridges of any type, the DL-103 designed for super heavy high mass tonearms. 

In my opinion you want to try the LOMC whithout even realised the potential of MM cartridges. But no problem, we’re always looking for something new and different. If your budget is $300 you’d better forget about LOMC (imo), but if you have $1500-2000 you can try to find some nice LOMC.
In my opinion you want to try the LOMC whithout even realised the potential of MM cartridges. But no problem, we're always looking for something new and different. If your budget is $300 you'd better forget about LOMC (imo), but if you have $1500-2000 you can try to find some nice LOMC.
Point taken. So, in order to realize the true benefit of MC, much more needs to be spent on the cart to ensure adequate quality? And if this is not possible may not be worth the time and money on a lower-end set-up.
My issue is that I do not have a lot of money to play with but I do want to fool around with MC. Tough pill to swallow.
Though the DL-103 is a good mc cartridge, it is a mismatch for your system.  The output is too low to properly match with the phono input in your preamp.  Denon makes a couple of very good performing mc cartridges that would have similar output as your Shure cart and will provide much better performance.  The Denon DL-110 comes to mind, but there are other brands that produce high output moving coil (HOMC) cartridges.  
The output is too low to properly match with the phono input in your preamp.

That’s why if I got the DL 103 I would get a proper phono preamp to deal with this. (This one has selectable impedance for LOMC and HOMC 20 ohm and 100 ohm respectively. I assume this would solve that problem?

https://www.phonopreamps.com/TC-760LCpp.html
https://www.phonopreamps.com/images/6LCSR.jpg