Is a GREAT turntable under $2000 possible???

Howdy folks-

I’m really enjoying my current set up and return to 2.1 channel listening and Home Theater. Here’s what I’ve got:

-Mc402 Amp
-Anthem Mrx 520
-Oppo 103 Bdp with Scott Nixon tube dac
-Mac Mini with a Scott Nixon Usb tube dac
-Audience and Wireworld cables
-Tekton Electron speakers

I’d like to introduce vinyl to my evening listening pleasure. Any recommendations for a turntable (including arm, cartridge, etc) under $2000? Is this a reasonable figure? I have no clue when it comes to turntables so any advice given is surely appreciated.

Brent

128x128knollbrent
While you are waiting around for the Zu modified 103 and stressing out over compliance issues and phono-preamp matching, get ye an Ortophon 2M Blue and a Schiit Mani and listen to some records. There are tons of really cool MM carts out there that will be fun to try without breaking the bank. I’ve got an old Grado that brings me back to listening to Zep in the dorm, an AT 440 mlc that still gets into rotation, and a new Mofi MasterTracker that is sublime (got that instead of the Ortophon 2M black, but it was a close race). Also have a few old Stantons and Pickerings that are fun to dink around with, and an old Shure V-15 V that is a bit high compliance but works fine with the brush down. Buy a couple cheap headshells and a 6 pack and you’ll be having more fun than you thought possible without breaking any laws!
Forget to mention that the Schiit Mani will work with your modified Denon 103 when you get it.  You will be surprised.  I ran a regular 103 through it and was impressed.  I'll admit I have stepped up my MC game a bit, but I probably spend more time listening to my MM carts.  Go figure!
Thorens TD 160, a few mods and any number of cartridges. Alwayd a solid performer. 
+1 pkvintage! I have the Thorens 160/SME4 and 125/Rega300. Both are great TT's and capable of competing with the expensive machines!
+1 Shubert! I too have a Pioneer PLX1000/Denon 103R and it is certainly the best under $1000 TT today! And it is made in Japan (if I am not mistaken!).