Doh! Modding vs. Selling

How many times have you modified a piece of gear with new caps, or new wiring, etc. only to find yourself selling it in a couple of months?

Personally I have learned, that except for my DIY work, if I get an itch to mod a piece of gear, I am better of trading it in.

You?

Erik
erik_squires
No mods.
The only mod I would like to do is change over several captive cord older devices to IEC plug.
The fuss to cut the hole is the big deterrent.
I have just added the IEC right outside the box. But for 'good' equipment I do not want to cut it that way.

I built a Hafler kit once. DH110
I did replace the parts in the crossover for a pair of speakers back in about 1994? but I would never do it again. Too much bother. Once I got started, I wanted to finish it. But if I had known the hassle, no way.
Hifiman5 - yes I do my own mods.  Although I have an electronics background my first significant learnings came in the late 80s from Audio Amateur.  The learning process never ends and there are plenty of enthusiasts at diyaudio.com or audioasylum.com 

"Personally I have learned, that except for my DIY work, if I get an itch to mod a piece of gear, I am better of trading it in."

Personally, if I get an itch to mod a piece of gear, it had better be worth modding to begin with, or I’d trade it in. I’ve usually owned it for a few years already.

As you can see from my system, I’ll mod just about anything, but generally draw the line at 5 figure stuff. Most of the work I’ve had done for me for the following reasons: I didn’t have the time; have the schematics; the unit has double sided circuit boards; or I planned massive parts changes (Danger Will Robinson!). Always choose the parts to be used since it is possible my tastes may not be the same as a professional modder. I’ve done lots of mods and kit building myself. Thankfully, after 40 years or so of tinkering, my system is done.