Stereophile, no more bench tests????!!!!

Looks like Stereophile may be cutting back on expenses, no more bench testing for measurements and specs to keep the manufacturers and reviewers honest, it'll make you think twice on what to believe now, without the proof to back it up.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/mark-levinson-no534-power-amplifier

https://www.stereophile.com/content/music-round-91-parasound-halo-52

Cheers George

128x128georgehifi

Reading a recent article by Mr. Fremer on ypsilon momo blocks running around $90K it was noted how well Mr. Fremer enjoyed the sound, yet JA concluded with his measurements saying something akin to: “… its too bad amplifiers costing this much do not measure better.”

So now what does one do with conflicting info from two reputed authorities on the same merchandise?

The same thing anyone does who is shopping ? for gear with that kind of money in their pocket. Look. Listen. Buy them or move on.

Isn’t it always this way with anything audio related?

Having compiled systems from both perspectives, strickly off spec sheets, and entirely from auditions, I’ll opt for the latter from now on. This is factual given one caveat, the amp in question MUST be capable, commensurate and synergistic to the loudspeakers they will push.

Many here thru the years have vehemently debunked reviews and some reviewers as being inconsequential in the end for mixing and matching up equipment, saying ONLY first hand auditions and personal observations are the true key to conjuring . a high performing audio rig.

In fact the slogan in years past around here was to muddle along with the Audiogon shuffle’. Buy, try, flip, repeat until its right or until you’re tired of the treadmill.

In another article, on YG upper tier speaker model, an exceptionally well reknown tube amp with plenty of guts was simply not suited for the speakers. They performed better in the opinion of the writer with a far less lauded solid state amp with somewhat less power output. VTL 450 vs Halo JC Is? Dunno off the top of my head but it sounds pretty close. Essentially.

JA did find anomalies in the YG models arithmetic yet still felt it was overall a very good measuring loudspeaker that simply worked better with SS power.

As for JA general measurements, the thing I looked for was if the maker said one thing and JA discovered another thereby showing the maker to be either a bit too proud of their kit, or quite conservative with its ratings. Simply seeing his notes that it tested well was and is not the Holy Grail for me. In truth, I’m not so sure if I’ve ever used his tests in advance as a deal maker or breaker on gear so far. Once or twice I believe it came out coincidentally that something I bought was later found to have tested very well. It may have been the BC DAC 3 if I’m not mistaken.

It’s the sound that butters your bread, and the bread you can spread that makes up the overwhelming majority of purchases anyhow. It likely always will.

Specs and measurements are useful mainly as guidelines to determine what components are most likely to perform best together. Performance enables good sound but does not fully determine it. You still have to listen once you have decided what to listen to together.

Nowadays, integrated amplifiers with DAC and phonos already integrated even can largely solve that problem. Then it’s just speaker integration that specs can still help with.

At least that’s how I’ve managed to efficiently assemble multiple good sounding systems in recent years using specifications and measurements.  Measurements provided in Stereophile proved to be very helpful with my buying decisions.
+1teo_audio! The new religion is the same as the old religion - to paraphrase a song by The Who (thank you Pete Townsend!).
Like Absolute Sound much better however i do like Stereophile. I will have to get buy never really make my buying decisions based on these mags.
I support my hobby so I will support the mags.  I don’t care what others think.