Why Isnt Techincs 1200 Considered Audiophile?

Technics is known for its rock solid build quality low wow flutter, low noise rock steady speed, great torque and powerful motor so why isnt it given the accolades as a musical turntable?
vinny55
The 1200 is a DJ component not designed for audiophile use and it sounds like it in particular the arm is quite substandard. It is a very rugged and reliable component which of course is a basic requirement for use by DJ's but for the money it is easily bettered by any one of many turntables properly designed for use in a a Music Reproduction System.
Do you mean the original SL1200 mk1 ?
It’s pretty old, but if you will watch this video you will see than John Grado still use one of these at grado labs to check the cartridges. In fact it was a hi-fi turntable that pioneers of the deejayin start using in the 70s in NYC on block party jams.

Later another hi-fi Technics became the industry standard, it was SL1200mk2 with +/- 8% pitch control and new Technics tonearm. It was not made for the DJs, but served professional DJs till today. In fact they made a million copies and it was a champ of turntables on the global mass market until it was discontinued not so long ago. This turntable can be upgraded by any user who would like to transfer it to a high-end by replacing a stock tonearm and armboard, footers, wires, or even power supply. Actually it’s better to buy SP-20 (made in 1976), this is what i compiled for a friend.

Technics true High-End turntables were made since the 70s for broadcast industry, models like SP-10mkII (which i’m using) and SP-10mkIII (from the 80s) considered a High-End today. Tonearms like EPA-100, 250, 500 or EPA-100mkII or professional version of the EPA-100 are amazing tonearms, they are highly regarded today, especially the rarest EPA-100mkII ($2-3k).

Now we have SL1200GAE, SL1200G and SL1200GR and they are high-end turntables, many people are blown away by the quality, they are completely different from older Technics turntables, but still can be upgraded with better tonearms. I'm not happy that they looks like an old SL1200mkII (i believe many people too), but seems like the quality is top notch. This is a new source for removable armboards which looks like the original, but made for different tonearms.

If you want the reference there you go: https://theaudiophileman.com/sound-vision-2018-technics/
official prices is UK should be about:
8000 pounds for SP-10R
and 14000 pounds for SL1000R

WRT...
 the arm is quite substandard
Hmmm - but is the rest of the TT "up to snuff" ?
- because Jeff at Audiomods believes it is - if you add one of these...

http://www.audiomods.co.uk/technicsarm.html

I have an Audiomods Classic II arm with the bead-blasted finish and it is a superb addition to any TT.

A friend has the 1200 with the Series Five arm built for the 1200 and he loves it

http://www.audiomods.co.uk/completearms.html

I think with an Audiomods arm, the 1200  is well into audiophile teritory.

Regards - Steve