Stereophile, no more bench tests????!!!!

Looks like Stereophile may be cutting back on expenses, no more bench testing for measurements and specs to keep the manufacturers and reviewers honest, it'll make you think twice on what to believe now, without the proof to back it up.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/mark-levinson-no534-power-amplifier

https://www.stereophile.com/content/music-round-91-parasound-halo-52

Cheers George

128x128georgehifi
You can only hope that they remove them. IMO they are worthless. Good or bad measurements doesn’t tell you if the unit sounds good or bad. The manufacturers stats should tell you enough if it will fit into your system or satisfy your needs at the high level. You need to install the piece in your system in your room to know if you like it or not. I would never buy a piece of equipment from a reviewers comments or measurements.
How often do you investigate your new cars internals: compression on all cylinders, vacuum pressure, etc.. before buying it? Never! How often do you see these specs delivered in trade rags for $100,000 to multimillion $$$ cars? Never! My ears will tell me if I like the audio piece just like a test drive will tell me if I like the car
I find the measurements worth the price of admission.
When I see a $$$$$ amp with bad measurements...
Then the digital amp they preaised wit hthe crap waveform. All digititis all the way.
LOL
So yeah I like the specs tests.
As for the op of this thread, I call "Chicken Little’
The sky is falling the sky is falling..
Not.
@browndt,

Sorry, but i find it suspect that anyone who claims to be an editor would stumble over the spelling of "ads". It's like Bill Gates choking on "computer".

All is good JA's still kicking, we've still got the bench tests and measurements.

Sorry voodoo'ist for getting your hopes up, you'll just have to stick another pin in the doll.

Re: Missing MeasurementsSubmitted by John Atkinson on May 3, 2018 - 9:27pm

It wasn't possible for Larry Greenhill, who now lives in California, to ship this amplifier to New York in time for me to measure it.

John Atkinson
Editor, Stereophile

Cheers George