Vandersteen 2CE Signature Speakers

Hello.  I recently auditioned a used pair of Vandersteen 2CE Signature speakers. I found them to be amazing for jazz (lots of detail, great imaging) - really everything I read about on how these speakers sound.  However, upon listening to classical (full orchestral recordings of Mahler symphonies and Strauss tone poems), I found them to be boxy, dull and closed (quite the opposite from the jazz recordings).

Is this normal?  Why would this happen?  What can be done to fix this? I would like to buy them. 

Thanks
128x128cspiegs
I had Vandersteen 2ci for 22 years and also a pair of 2ce for 3 years until I put them in storage.  The 2ce had a tipped up treble compared to the 2ci.. I am not sure how different the signatureII sound but On my 2ci speakers Classical was excellent.  Very full sounding with just the right amount of treble.  The triangles and wire brushes sounded so real and life like.  Jazz was excellent as well as Rock.  I drove mine with a 175wpc Classe amp and a tube preamp.  I wish I still had that system. 
The idea that a speaker plays jazz and rock well, but not classical is crazy.  The requirements for a loudspeaker for all music is the same: "play it as accurately as possible with as little damage as possible for the money".  

You may be expecting the classical to sound good, but the dynamic range requires both of the following.

1) Very low noise floor in the room because the quiet parts will be masked and boring.
2)  Enough power to play the classical loud enough to lift all of the music out of the noise floor.

This is not as much of a  problem with jazz or rock, because the music tends to be played a higher levels without the very quiet passages that are so important with classical.  An accurate transducer is required in both cases and will play all types of music equally, IF they have the headroom.

What possible difference would any designer make to a speaker for one music or the other sound 'better or worse' mystifies me to this date, but some folks seem to take this myth for granted and lose out on some great audio because of it. 

I have spoken to many top speaker designers about this as it's been perpetuated since the beginning of audio as we know it.
I'm using 2Cs with  Krell 300W/4 ohms in a 14x14 dedicated room. Didn't sound wonderful until placed room treatments on all four walls and ceiling. Plus speaker position and listening chair position are critical. Also the dedicated AC line helped too.
Hope this helps, I think they are wonderful speakers.

Tom
Thanks Tom.  Set up is critical for all speakers, but often times even a dealer isn't set up properly as they move things around so much.  Once set, you can forget it and ENJOY great speakers that will play anything well. ;)