What's happened to the used high end market recently?? Sales are tough....:0(

The heading says it all!! What do you guys think is the reason that the sales in the used high end market have gone soft??
Prices too high? Economy too slow?? Stock market too volatile?? Something else??

Thoughts....
128x128daveyf
@daveyf I agree my previous 2 post didn't directly address your OP and instead responded to something else on the thread. Sorry about that. Please accept my apology. I think that there is an existing age, aging and income gap that is softening the used HEA market. I agree with points 1-4 above of @tutetibiimperes post. They seem spot on and are making the used market softer than what may have previously seemed normal. In order to have a robust used market you first need demand in the new market. The generation behind me isn't that interested in either new or used HEA equipment. Unless it is new headphones. The generation ahead of me is getting older (I'm 54yo), downsizing, and not buying as much new equipment it seems. The new market drives the used market. If we're not buying new stuff, then we're holding on to the old stuff and not replacing it with other used stuff either. This is the new normal. I will also point out that newer technology will continue to gut used prices, especially in the DAC category. The folks who paid for ultra-high end DACs appear to be struggling to get 50 cents on the dollar because those DACs SQ is being challenged at a much lower price points in the new DAC market.

tutetibiimperes:
In regard to your 1st point - while I agree somewhat , Millennials and Boomers are my main customers and I would say the younger folks account for 2/3rd of my records sales.  Many have good jobs.
I simplified in my original post as although I have 1,200 records I also have many other items geared to Millennials and Boomers (swords, knives, certain books (Harry Potter, Marvel related, etc.), Batman, Spider-man related stuff.  I started out as an antique store with records - we've been in business for 2 years now and we have almost zero antiques - not because they sold but because you almost can't give them away. Since then we learned that Millennials will need to be our customers if we are to stay in business.   I'm getting way off post but all this to to say that Millennials do spend money. Many certainly have $400 in disposable money to so I don't think money is the problem.  As far as limited space goes, that may be true but I (and I'm sure many of us) spent 4 years in college in very small dorm rooms and finally a small apartment.  Music with good sound quality was important enough that we always had a stereo and it wasn't as good as the $400 systems in my shop.  
daveyf:
Back more on topic and I haven't read all the great posts here and it has probably been said - I think the used prices on Audiogon are generally way too high.  It seems when I look for something here the asking prices are in line with asking prices on eBay.  For example the is an amplifier I want with several listed on eBay for $2000 and one here goes on sale for $2000.  I'm unable to find one on eBay that sold because the amp is so infrequently listed in true action (eBay does not track sold items back in time nearly as long as they used to which makes it much tougher to find this information).  So finally one comes for auction and has 50 bids (probably many from people here) and sells for $1200 - that should be it's approximate value (and of course any low buy-it-now sale price is meaningless).  This is simplified of course - most of us would far prefer to buy here than from eBay and would pay more from a member here.  If asking prices (here) reflected legitimate (eBay) sale prices I think pieces would move very quickly.  
As we all recognize, cause, effect and correlation can prove elusive.

First, define high end audio. In similar conversations these topics are often left unresolved.

My personal opinion is that each variable is poorly defined. Is the economy good or bad, it depends on where you are on the sliding scale. US population has doubled over the past 60 years, the average top CEO comp over that time in todays dollars has risen from $800k to almost $16 million. Whether its cars, clothing, stereo gear.....things change, manufacturing expertise moves forward and consumer demand evolves.

at the end of the day, if you list something for sale and it doesnt sell, your price is too high. Ive listed alot of stuff over the years and rarely does it take longer than a week to get a deal done but I dont buy nor sell Onkyo so who knows.