Hard Audio - Ceramic Speakers

Hi Gang,
One thing I think about both as a listener and speaker builder is ceramic drivers, such as the famous Accutons. I'm talking true ceramics, not sandwiches here. I'll include here hard diamond drivers as well, not vapor deposited diamond dust.

Some of what I've seen is super impressive in terms of specifications, and design far beyond merely the dome materials.

I've never ever been moved though. For whatever reason, every ceramic speaker I've heard sounded cold, clinical, pure without power.

What are your experiences? Have you heard ceramic speakers that made you really feel you had experienced something great?
erik_squires
Maybe I'm just fussy, but as far as I can tell, those Infinity drivers are basically anodized aluminum drivers. That is, they make aluminum drivers and then using acid and current (I think) they transform the outer layers. This is essentially what Calphalon does for it's cookware, no? 

And yes, Accuton are considered technically among the best drivers made. Certainly based on measurements and low distortion this seems to be the case. And yet... I'm happier with paper cones from Scanspeak. Kind of why I started this thread. :) The engineer and music listener in me do not reconcile well when it comes to these particular drivers.

Best,

E
@erik_squires 

Yes, I believe the coating is Aluminum Oxide, which is a ceramic material.  I'm not sure how they apply it, or what the difference is with the new Revel drivers.  

The benefits of paper drivers and soft dome tweeters are that their breakup nodes aren't nearly as nasty as metal drivers.  The downside is that their breakup nodes occur at lower frequencies.  

Still, breakup nodes are only an issue if you're running drivers into the extremes of their range or using shallow slope crossovers.  If you're building a 2-way or 2.5 way speaker with a first order crossover, it's something you need to worry about.  If you're building a 3-way using 4th order crossovers you'll have a lot less to worry about with regard to breakup nodes, unless you just picked the completely wrong drivers for your project.
I've never ever been moved though. For whatever reason, every ceramic speaker I've heard sounded cold, clinical, pure without power. 

Funny we purchased the Auccuton drivers and just plugged them into an old pair on Infinity Kappa speakers and then compared them to my old Vandersteen model 5 speakers.  We felt the Auccuton drivers were faster, had better clarity and were just as musical.  No modifications, just put them in and let them play.  Go figure. 
@shadorne 

Do you think a pure diamond driver would be able to avoid the pitfalls of a ceramic driver? I understand Accuton makes 5.5" diamond domes for the La Assoluta Tidal speakers. 

The great expensive of making a driver like that must be worth it, no?