CD players = dead?

From an audiophile, sound quality perspective are CD players obsolete? Can a CD player offer better performance than an audio server / streamer? 
madavid0
Subscribe to Tidal $20/month. $1000 will last you for 5 years. CD player is dead unofficially. 
johnread57,
I was very lucky to be able to audition the Marantz SA-10 at home, with my own equipment for five days. It made a big difference.
I do not know if I could have chosen it from only an in store audition!
(actually probably not)
Invariably there are those who feel they must make a declaration of the "death" of a format, as if to cross it off some mythical list.  These pronouncements generally follow some new discovery in their own system that has transformed their listening experience. Not every change in audio has to be a mic drop moment.  In my experience most of these evolutionary changes coexist with other topologies or formats for some period of time. In the case of the transition from analog to digital this "progress" is not always linear in it's development.

In the past year I have added a streamer to my system and can attest to the transformative impact it has had on my listening.  I rarely listen to CDs anymore..but I am still like a child with a new toy.  I am not about to declare all my old toys obsolete.  Just as I kept my LPs back in the eighties when everyone was bailing on vinyl I will keep my CDs...and will continue to listen to them.  At some point in the future digital streaming will be "dead" also.