Talk but not walk?

Hi Guys

This isn't meant to start a fight, but it is important to on lookers. As a qualifier, I have my own audio forum where we report on audio issues as we empirically test them. It helps us short cut on theories and developing methods of listening. We have a wide range of systems and they are all over the world adding their experiences to the mix. Some are engineers, some are artist and others are audiophiles both new and old. One question I am almost always asked while I am visiting other forums, from some of my members and also members of the forum I am visiting is, why do so many HEA hobbyist talk theory without any, or very limited, empirical testing or experience?

I have been around empirical testing labs since I was a kid, and one thing that is certain is, you can always tell if someone is talking without walking. Right now on this forum there are easily 20 threads going on where folks are talking theory and there is absolutely no doubt to any of us who have actually done the testing needed, that the guy talking has never done the actual empirical testing themselves. I've seen this happen with HEA reviewers and designers and a ton of hobbyist. My question is this, why?

You would think that this hobby would be about listening and experience, so why are there so many myths created and why, in this hobby in particular, do people claim they know something without ever experimenting or being part of a team of empirical science folks. It's not that hard to setup a real empirical testing ground, so why don't we see this happen?

I'm not asking for peoples credentials, and I'm not asking to be trolled, I'm simply asking why talk and not walk? In many ways HEA is on pause while the rest of audio innovation is moving forward. I'm also not asking you guys to defend HEA, we've all heard it been there done it. What I'm asking is a very simple question in a hobby that is suppose to be based on "doing", why fake it?

thanks, be polite

Michael Green

www.michaelgreenaudio.net

128x128michaelgreenaudio
To Everything tune, tune, tune eh?  

The tunable speakers are interesting.   How does one tune them and what changes physically with the speaker when you do?

glupson,

I'm sure it didn't escape your notice that MG didn't answer your question.  It's the usual two-step: avoid admitting there is no technical explanation, and turn it in to an opportunity to claim again that it works anyway.

Anyone want to take bets on whether he'll answer my questions? ;-)
Guru’s like to keep things cloaked in mystery I hear  but we’ll see. I asked a pretty straightforward question about the unique advertised feature of one of his products. Should not be hard to answer.

prof,

Thank you for your compliments, but I do not think I deserve them. I do not even think I am using any kind of critical thinking here (this forum), if I even ever do it anywhere except at work. I am approaching these things with some lightness and open mind. Still, I do notice and then ask. I try to stay neutral which means that I keep my mind open that there may be something to whatever someone is claiming. That is why I ask these questions, to clarify what seems odd to me at first reading or to add what I think is the answer to what someone was asking about in some conversation. Enough about me as me.

When it comes to tweaks, lovers of tweaks fiercely defend them and seem to dismiss anyone who is not a follower. Too much time, too much cost, too much uncertainty, too much emotions (at least around here), simply not worth it for some. Some people dedicate their free time and disposable income to tuning/tweaking/perfecting their system (room included) to match the ideal they hold dear. Some cannot care less and intermittently pick and choose what to focus on. I would be a hard sell for tunable cable elevators, or demagnetizers for a piece of plastic injected with non-magnetic material, but if someone likes them and thinks they are worth it, even as a placebo, so be it. It is good for them and it sounds suspicious to me. I would like to know their explanations and maybe become a convert, but that is about it. Sadly, more often than not, any discussion ends up in Internet hostilities and observers, such as I, do not get enough "data" to make our own opinion.

However, I do have to admit that about 25 years ago, a friend of mine and I borrowed Cardas speaker jumpers (those little things connecting inputs on biwireable speakers, a couple of centimeters long), that were costing way more than we could have ever dare to spend, from the local store. Neither was our amplifier anything special (so-called mid-fi at best), nor were the speakers anything great. We tried it for fun as, for all we knew, we could have connected those inputs with metal buttons and it would have been the same. Well, the difference was audible to both of us. We were sure it would not be, but it was. Repeatedly. Another day, same result. I have no idea why it was, even if it was just a bias of some sort, but we heard the difference. Having said that, I have no plans to ever buy "upgraded" speaker jumpers but remember those anyway. I am more of a talker (am I a faker once I admit I am a talker or I become genuine walker in the field of talking?), but appreciate those who try and tell me how it was. I appreciate even more if they explain why it was. Of course, financial disclosures are sometimes needed, but rarely seen in these woods.

Gurus also like baby back ribs, so I'll see you guys either later on tonight or tomorrow.

Prof, we should also talk about your hard on for me. Shouldn't you just ask me out. I mean I can check with my girlfriend, or maybe the three of us can catch a movie.

Seriously though I have a question for you, are you really May Belt cause you sure sound like her in your writing? Seriously you sound just like her. Your like one of those "no answer can be the right one kind of internet troll". I'm flattered but honestly I like women. That shouldn't stop you from getting a picture of me to hang on your mirror, but just so you know we can never have anything meaningful long term.

Michael Green

www.michaelgreenaudio.net

PS: Prof Fridays no good for me maybe Saturday :)