Vandersteen Sub woofers v Rythmik Subs

I really love the idea of the Vandersteen Subs where they are connected with the mains via extra speaker cable off right and left channels off the main amplifier, which is supposed to provide better bass transition from the mains while keeping the signature from the main amplifier. My question is with Vandersteen coming out with the SUB THREE and the price going significantly higher, I was wondering if there are other subs for less that you could integrate in the same way. (Most subs seem to rely on the line level input which is just a sub-woofer RCA going from the pre-amp to the amp on the sub). Can this same Vandersteen set-up be achieved with other subs?
I picked Rythmik since they are known (in the home theater community anyway) for being one of the best bang for the buck subs and the most "musical" of the bunch. (between Hsu, SVS, PSA).
And could I possibly achieve even greater sub-woofer nirvana since I could get an 18" for around $1500? Vandies only have 3 eight inchers.

I am a Vandersteen fanboy and I would like to support RV whenever I can, but don’t know much about my other sub-woofer options so looking for some feedback. Doesn’t even have to be related to Rythmik necessarily. If you know of other subs that can integrate the same way I want to know about it!

Thanks
bstatmeister
@noble100 ,
I think Johnny was referring to the integrated equalizer in the new Sub 3.
As far as I know, there are no subs with equalizers incorporated.
B
nobel100
Thanks for the kind words. I bet your system sounds great. Would love to try the swarm out.

So far we seem to mostly focus on trying to solve the bass problems with loudspeakers(subs). However the other way that seems to get less attention is to fix the room.

Lately I have been hanging out at Acoustic Fields web site learning all about room treatment from the owner Dennis Foley. He has a daily youtube channel. Very interesting stuff that may make you rethink some things you think you know about acoustics in listening rooms as well as recording studios. They design room treatment systems for some of the best recording studios and high end listening rooms. But thats a whole new can of worms and a topic for a new thread.

Cheers.

Hi sonicjoy,

Okay, thanks.  I'll check out the Acoustic Fields website.

What's great about the Swarm system, when properly set up, is that it requires no room treatments, DSP, equalization,  or room correction mics and software.  It's really kind of magical how eliminating the vast majority of bass standing waves, and the resultant bass peaks and nulls, in the room results in such excellent bass performance throughout the entire room.  I think it's something you have to hear for yourself to really believe.  It sounds too good to be true when just verbally described.  It really took a lot of research and convincing for me to overcome my skepticism and give the distributed bass array system a try.  But I am so grateful I did and now feel like I owe it to other members to spread the word.
     I think this could be considered a type of room treatment because it prevents bass response issues at the root cause, which is likely a lot more effective than trying to compensate or room treat for the inevitable standing waves once they actually exist in the room.  Bass room treatments are typically much larger and less effective than mid-range and treble room treatments in my experience.  
Thanks,
  Tim
" noble100 ,
I think Johnny was referring to the integrated equalizer in the new Sub 3.
As far as I know, there are no subs with equalizers incorporated."

Hi gdnrbob,

Thanks for responding for audioconnection/Johnny.  

I understand audioconnection/Johnny is a home audio retailer with Audio Connect in N.J. that sells Vandersteen products.  He seems to be justifiably enthused about Vandersteen's soon to be available Sub Three.  It appears to be a very nice sub for $2,500.
     However, implying that incorporating a 7-band analog equalizer in the Sub Three demonstrates 'thinking outside the box' is a bit of a stretch.  The truth is that it's basically a conventional sub with an equalizer added.  
     An equalizer will not be able to eliminate, or compensate for, the vast majority of bass standing waves that inevitably result from having a single sub in a room.  With proper positioning, the best one could expect to achieve would be good bass response at the preferred listening position.  This will hold true for all single sub systems, no matter the cost or competency of the single sub employed. 
     As I understand it, analog equalizers such as those incorporated in the Sub Three and the Swarm's sub amplifier are useful mainly in compensating for any bass 'slap' present in some rooms that is caused by the reflection of bass sound waves off the floor and to the ceiling.

The above is not just my opinion.  It is a summary of the results of years of scientific research and experiments conducted by acoustical scientists Earl Geddes, Floyd O'toole and Todd Welti, among others.  
     These experts state that deploying 2 subs will result in fewer bass standing waves and better bass response in the room.  Deploying 3 subs will further significantly reduce bass standing waves, 4 subs will eliminate the vast majority and any additional subs beyond 4 will only result in smaller incremental improvements  in bass response in any given room.
     However, utilizing 4 Vandersteen Sub Threes would cost about $10,000 while the complete Audio Kinesis Swarm or Debra 4 sub systems both are priced at $3,000 or less and likely are less intrusive.  

I'd imagine the Sub Threes would definitely produce more bass than the Swarm system but I'm not certain which system's bass would sound best and, if the Sub Three system did sound best, whether it sounds $7,000 better. 
 Tim     

@noble100 ,
I would not discount the Sub 3 until I listened to it. If Mr. V. discontinues a very good sub in favor of a new one, it must be a significant improvement.
And, Vandersteen's use of an external high pass crossover was very much 'thinking outside of the box' 30 years ago, so maybe Johnny isn't exaggerating.
I understand the concept of using multiple subs to eliminate/ reduce room nodes, but perhaps integrating an equalizer can achieve something the same. As I have not heard, nor know how they are set up, I can't say definitely how well/badly they work. 
Maybe they will be in the store when I get some time to go later this summer-along with some other Audiogon members.
Bob