Grado Stylus Upgrade

I currently am using a Grado Gold cartridge from the Prestige line. The cartridge was bought new about a year ago and has not seen heavy use. Basically, still like new. Although the Gold is not anywhere near the top of Grado's line of cartridges it is still decent with my system. I have read numerous forums and almost all Grado users recommend upgrading the standard Gold stylus to the 8MZ stylus for superior performance. That stylus goes for $150 which is more than half of what the Gold cartridge with standard stylus costs. I am not interested in a complete cartridge upgrade at this time but am curious if the 8MZ stylus upgrade is worth the expense? I guess that any users that have this cartridge and have done the stylus upgrade consider it a worthwhile upgrade.

jrpnde
XTZ stylus alone cost $450+ and it was top of the line stylus, you can try 8MZ for $150 or much better stylus for more. It worth it as the stylus is the most expensive part of the cartridge. 
Not exactly 100% relevant to your situation but I did replace the stock stylus on a Grado Black with an 8MZ. It was an improvement. At the time, for unknown reasons, the 8MZ was priced lower than a Grado Gold replacement stylus. I believe prices of 8MZ and Gold replacement styli are now the same.  Some claim the 8MZ is better than the current Gold stylus.  I can't speak to that but see comments on Needle Doctor.
Thanks ghosthouse and chakster. I am always cautious when I read various forums where people claim what a significant difference an upgrade made to the sound. Cost of the stylus shouldn't be a deciding factor and if the original Gold is similar in price why shouldn't the performance be?  Some say "what a difference". I have been in the audio "hobby" long enough to realize that when folks spend extra $$$ they are convinced that it was for the better. Sometimes true and others not. But, that's their perspective.
ghosthouse....thanks for your suggestion. I'm not looking to convert my vinyl setup into a significantly superior one. If only marginal gains were to be obtained I would consider it. I read other forum posts with a bit of skepticism. There just seems so many that recommend that stylus upgrade.
chakster....Thanks for your input as well. From what I've read is that the XTZ cartridge has been out of production for a while. Besides, if I would
spend $450+ on just the stylus, for the same money why wouldn't I just upgrade the entire cartridge??
Thanks to all. I appreciate all the input.

.Thanks for your input as well. From what I've read is that the XTZ cartridge has been out of production for a while. Besides, if I would
spend $450+ on just the stylus, for the same money why wouldn't I just upgrade the entire cartridge??

You're right, for $450 you can find a good cartridge, but not the Joseph Grado Signature XTZ which is nowadays impossible to find and the cost would be at least $800+ But i saw the XTZ styli available - they are the best Grado ever made for that type of cartridges. 

I have Joe Grado Signature XTZ and you can seach info on audiogon about this beauty, in the 80s the price was $750 and it was a flagship model, amazing cartridge, mainly because of the XTZ stylus. 

So it's up to you, the cheapest styli for Grado is Black or DJ100i, so you can go lower if you want. 
Get into the Woods to improve over the Prestige line.  I have a Grado Gold and went to Reference platinum and the result was very good.  The Platinum 2 is now out and at $350 is audibly better than the current Prestige gold.  There is of course the drawback ..... non replaceable stylus!

Yours,

Sam