Art Dudley Calls B.S. but without naming names - PLEASE DO!

Hey all,

As someone who hasn't been reading the audiophile press for all that long, I stumbled upon this article that I'm sure it lit up these airwaves when it was first published: https://www.stereophile.com/content/skin-deep

It's a great article and one that any knowledgeable person would most likely agree with, but hey, spending your own hard-earned (or inherited) money is a right and a privilege.  Art does call out some brands that he perceives to give great value:  AMVR, VPL, Conrad-Johnson, DeVore and Harbeth and Kimber and Peachtree and Quicksilver and Rega and Rogue and Spendor and Wavelength.  Shouldn't NAD be on this list?  

But what he doesn't do and I think is warranted, is name the companies that are most egregious in selling high-end products where the performance is far below the cost.  

I, for one, would love to see a list of those manufacturers from the people who read this forum.  You can group them by what they manufacture or just put them in order as you see fit.  I think it would be most helpful in calling b.s. but with "added-value", which is what this whole article was all about.  Right?

128x128lgoler
I wouldn't call out products that, in my opinion, are bad values.  That is far too subjective, and would likely be unfair to the manufacturers and distributers, and hurtful to those that own the equipment.  On the other hand, I fully endorse promoting products that I feel are good, or even great deals.  Further, I think it's within the scope of civil discourse to point out perceived flaws and disappointments in equipment one has had experience with, but not disparage the entire line with blanket negativity.  It takes years to build trust, but one flaming statement can ruin that overnight.
Those D'Agostino mono blocks (which I am quite sure are great amps and well worth the investment to those that want them and can afford them) have nothing on my Stuart Hughes Nintendo Wii SUPREME!
About 25 years ago I rode a motorcycle.  Back then I couldn't understand why anyone would buy a Harley Davidson, as they were beautifully made, but had excessive vibration, poor brakes, were not very reliable, etc. etc.  And back then, if you attempted to purchase a new Harley at a dealer, they would load up the bikes with accessories and one of my local dealers required that you purchase an extended warranty as well.  It just baffled me that they could "get away" with that behavior, but they did.

So, what determines the "value" of an item in our marketplace?  I'd say it's what people are willing to pay for it.
The best way to go about this might be to just list the names you think are a good value with price points and NOT mention the ones you think are not a less than stellar value.

I agree you can't really list the ones you may think are grossly overrated, or hugely overpriced, so just do the opposite. :)
ejr1953
... what determines the "value" of an item in our marketplace? I'd say it's what people are willing to pay for it.
Agreed. Value, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.