Don Sachs 2 vs. deHavilland Ultraverve 3

There seem to be quite a few discussions and reviews on these preamps, but I haven’t seen any direct comparisons (I have done several searches).

Both are octal / 6SN7 tube line stages, include similar inputs/outputs, have similar features including optional remotes, place the tubes above the case, and are similarly priced. I would be grateful to hear about how they differ regarding their:

• Sound (reviews of both say they are detailed and also include aspects of the traditional/warm tube sound, but I can't tell how they compare to each other) and

• Design and Performance (ie the impact of design differences such as 4 6SN7 tubes in the Sachs as opposed to 1 in the deHavilland or the 48 step Khozmo remote ($200) vs the 32 step deHavilland remote ($500), etc.)

I have seen at least one thread where a member discussed experiences with both preamps, but I could not see any comparisons (such as the Sachs was more [fill in the blank] than the deHavilland).

Obviously it would be great to hear from members that have heard both preamps. There may be members that have not heard both, but may have insights into the potential impact of their design differences, and I'd be interested in hearing from them also.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!!

swingfingers

4hannons,

Thanks for trying to place these on a spectrum and giving greater context by including other preamps. I agree that we can’t represent such complex sounds by a number, but in the context of a lot of other details (like those you gave), it can help as another piece of the puzzle.

If you have time for another comment…you mentioned the deHavilland as being “slightly warmer/darker”. Have you found it has more mid bass/low mids OR less treble/high frequencies...or both?  I guess I’m wondering if there is any sense of a veil or muted high end…

Gotog,

I get your comments now regarding the deHavilland’s wiring. Apologies as I think my question came from ignorance. Your post helped me to understand so thank you for that!

BTW, do you know if the deHavilland has anything that can help the user know where they are in the volume ladder (the Sachs has a digital readout for this)?

My amp is a McCormack DNA 0.5 deluxe and my speakers are Gemme Audio Tantos. (I'm a bit of a noob at hifi.)  For music, my first passion is jazz (Miles, Coltrane, Jarrett, etc.), my second is classic rock/blues/folk, and I also love classical and a lot of other, diverse stuff.  How about you?  Also curious if there is a genre (or speaker type) you find especially suited to the Ultraverve?

Swing,
Nice system...The Gemme Tantos are really nice..We have exactly the same taste in music..in the same order of preference.. As far as knowing where you are on the volume ladder, the Ultraverve doesn't really tell you.  For instance, when you use the remote to change volume it does not move the knob on the panel.  If you manually change the volume using the knob after using the remote, it will just increase or decrease the volume from where it was previously set via the handheld remote. I think it really comes down to what you are looking for to compliment your other gear and room.  The Ultraverve imparts just enough warmth (tube flavor) for me.  My room is a little bright and my speakers are really detailed, and it just smooths things out a little (not too syrupy), especially on recordings that may not be the best.

I haven't had experience with either of these units, but I have a friend with Don's preamp, and have heard nothing but praise from him.  His experience paved my decision to buy Don's custom phono preamp, which I love,

I am however, on my second 6SN7-based tube preamp.  My experience with both is that the tonal nature of these type preamps can be widely altered with tube choice.  To a perhaps an even greater degree, selecting different input tubes changes the character as well.  Have fun with either choice.

As to how tubey a unit sounds, I have found that the most tubey sounding preamps are tightly tied to coupling caps, and those more SS sounding work to minimize that or eliminate them entirely.  My current unit is likely closer in sound to Don's.  I love tube sound without any cap or transformer haze getting in the way.

gotog, Thanks for your comments! Sounds like you have a great taste in music ;-] . It seems strange to me that there is no way for the user to know where he is on the volume ladder of the UV – but I’m sure there is some reason for that design choice, and perhaps I am in the minority desiring such a feature?  I hear you regarding complimenting my gear and room. It’s tough to know how something will sound before actually installing it so it is very helpful hearing other members’ experiences.

jsm71, I appreciate your observations and thoughts.  I have heard how responsive the deHavilland is to tube changes – interesting that it is possibly the nature of all (or most?) 6SN7 preamps.  I found your comments regarding coupling caps very intriguing. Perhaps my biggest goal is adding some of the “magic” that tubes can give but without creating any sense of veil or haze. (I don’t want to reduce any high end as my speakers are already pretty smooth). I’m pretty uninformed regarding caps. I know there are different kinds and brands but don’t grasp the concept of minimizing or eliminating them. Could you elaborate??