Muffled vocals

I have positioned my speakers every way imaginable and I just can't get the vocals the way I want. They're centered, but they seem like they're in the background.  I want them more up front.  I've tried various toeing methods and room treatment but they still seem a little muffled.  My equipment: Lyngdorf TDAI-2200 integrated, Marantz CD6006, Tyler Acoustics D-20, Anti-Cables, Audioquest digital cable.  I know the recording can have a lot to do with it, but Steely Dan's Aja is known for the recording quality and Donald Fagen is in the back.  My terminology no doubt betrays my lack of sophistication when it come to audio, but I know something's not right.  Any suggestions?
cal91
I just spent an additional $21,000 to move up to Magnepan 20.7 (from 3.6) and buy a DAC/SACD player.With those added to my sstem, I can finally hear Rock vocals better.What I just said is your stuff is not good enough to hear the vocals clearly in (particularly) Rock music. Want clarity? Stuck to Opera.
Try the close listening test. 

Walk up to your speakers and listen 1' away. Are the voices in better proportion? 

If so, your problem is room acoustics. If not, electronics and speakers. 

Best,

E
I haven't figured out how to respond individually so I'll do a group response.  akg-ca: I know the Marantz is the weakest link and that's my next upgrade.  Thanks.  Elizabeth: I mostly listen to classical, jazz, and blues.  I can listen to Mozart operas, but it's not my favorite music.  My equipment is certainly no match for yours, but I still believe it should be doing better than it is.  Thanks for the insult (just kidding).  erik-squires: I tried your suggestion and couldn't discern a difference.  Thanks
cal91
Try tilting the speakers up a little. It worked for me once when I was having this problem years ago.
It sounds like something is out of phase. Reverse the leads on one speaker and see if that helps!