Please evaluate my system...

Interested in what you guys think of the following and if there are any obvious weaknesses:

- VPI Super Scoutmaster (standard)
- Denon DL103 with Paratrace retip
- Linn Linto phono stage
- Audio Research Ref 3 preamp
- Cyrus APA7.5 Monoblocks
- Focal Scala Utopia III Version 1

Not sure where to take the system next! Thanks, Tim

tim_field

Tim, It sounds like soundstage is your main concern.  While many things can affect that, I'd focus on power conditioning, speaker placement and room-tuning.

Power conditioning will lower the noise floor.  That allows you to hear more detail, including ambience, and tends to make the soundstage more expansive & realistic. (IMPORTANT -You probably want to exclude your power amp from conditioning.  Most amps sound best 'straight into the wall'.)

Speaker placement can have a profound affect on soundstage & imaging.Quick Tip:  I find that many people use too much toe-in, and that will shrink the soundstage.  When asked, they say they like the 'focus'.  But what I often hear is a compressed soundstage - and depending on the speakers - a bit too much treble.

It's best to start with a pretty good room... if you can.  I recommend restraint in room-tuning.  Too much can make the sound 'dead'. You mostly want to deal with early reflections and bass bumps.

I hope that helps! 

Greenacres my personal experience in expanding this down stage is that there was no better upgrade then when I went from the Herron phono preamp to an Audio Research Ref 2A.  As I have posted before, I looked and auditioned Pass Labs XP25 as well. Given that you have a tube preamp, I would look at a better solid state unit.  A Pass or at a lower price point Parasiund JC3 would in my view be the place I would start.  Even an Esoteric E03 would be a contender. 
Tim, one question to ask yourself is how much you are willing to spend to expand your soundstage? If you want a dramatic improvement in SQ for a good value, I suggest addressing acoustics in the room. Eliminating vibration and reflection can do that for reasonable money, and the value is that you won’t need to continually upgrade room treatments. It helps every new piece of gear you buy sound its best and will help you evaluate what new equipment really brings to your party. My ASC bass traps did that for me, and since they are “tunable” I can adjust damping to exactly what suits my ears. My thoughts FWIW
Tim, it sounds like , in all, you are quite happy with your system and in all, are quite satisfied with what you hear. While upgrades, or supposed upgrades will always be a part of the audiophile bug, there will always be fan boys (who mean well) that want to sell you on what they like. I’m sure you have what you have, at least for now, for a good reason and it is all good stuff. Take most to heart, those who have suggested using what you have and making little tweaks that may or may not help - speaker placement, minor adjustments to room treatment, experiment with cost effective dampening, coupling or isolation products or methods and better electrical connections, etc. Sometimes, very little changes in any, or all of these things can make for a real "WOW, I’d never have thought" experience...JMO...Jim
Hey Papa, I don't have any booming bass in the room, I can try my bass traps as I've mentioned but I'm not seeing any major issues at the moment. What should I be listening for to show I need this?

I will take a look at the mains filtering and possibly a dedicated circuit.

Any cheap isolation devices that work well? I've run quite a few expensive ones over my time and few do much to the sound. I have some original stillpoints and can't hear the difference with them on. 

Cheers, Tim