Cartridge or Pre Amp

I recently picked up the Pro-Ject Tube Box DS and I am tickled pink on how warm and yet dynamic it remains. I’ve noticed that there seems to be some front stage darkness on some older records. Nothing more volume can’t fix. Would upgrading my AT-ML150 cartridge or the pre amp would this phenomenon or it simply a characteristic of the production and pressing of its day?

My setup:

Technics MK1200 MKII various upgradeds: wires, tonearm, etc.
AT-AL150/OCC Cartidge
Pro-Ject Tube Box DS
Bryston 4B3
Bryston Model T speakers
Simaudio MOON NEO Preamp
OPPO UDP-205

joyofsound
Not sure what you mean by "front stage darkness". 

"Tube rolling" is a slang that means trying different tubes. 
Thanks for explaining.
I mean that some records don't sound as dynamic or livelier. I would love to experiment with other higher brand tubes. What are the better tubes to try. Always welcome experienced opinions. TIA.
Tube rolling could help. If I were you I'd try a different cartridge - maybe go from mm to MC. The change Would be instructive one way or another. And your system could handle the higher quality source.
Your AT-ML150 is a great cartridge! Do not change it to MC or whatever MM, it will be the biggest mistake. The AT-ML150 has gold plated Beryllium Cantilever and Micro Line stylus. Beryllium is not available anymore from any manufacturers. MicroLine stylus is one of the best stylus ever made! You have absolutely amazing cartridge and it’s hard to beat by MC or MM, only if you will upgrade to AT-ML170 or AT-ML180.

The weak point is your TUBE phono stage, look for JLTi phono stage made in Australia, because some nice NOS tubes will cost you as much as the new phono stage (lol). Personally i would avoid cheap tube phono stages.  

JLTi + AT-ML150 is a killer combination, it is possible to change the loading up to 100k Ohm (instead of 47k Ohm) if you will ask Joe to made a free mods to his phono stage, he could replace internal resistors to 500k Ohm, after this mod JLTi is the most flexible phono stage with RCA plug load resistors on the back. MM or MC can be loaded to whatever value.