New KEF Reference 5 speakers

After many months of auditioning speakers (and probably testing the patience of several salesmen) I finally decided to get the KEF Reference 5s.  I just loved the wide sound stage and almost holographic imaging, among other things.  They were delivered in February and I’ve spent many hours listening.  At first I was disappointed.  They just didn’t produce the same imaging at my house with my equipment as in the store.  Also, they sounded bright and harsh with violins and high end music.  The dealer came to my house along with the regional sales rep from KEF to provide advice.  They urged me to allow more break in time (at that point they had been played about 100 hours). After many more hours, I am becoming more acquainted with them.  They are still improving with time.  Them break in period seems to be very lon. They’ve played several hundred hours and are still improving. They are extremely source sensitive—meaning that a poorly engineered record or CD will sound terrible and a well recorded one can be great.  I suppose this is a good thing with the KEFS-that they reveal flaws so well says something about their accuracy. Unfortunately there seem to be more bad recordings than good ones so I’m finding many of my CDs and records very difficult to listen to.  I am still experimenting with speaker placement, learning which recordings are really good and which aren’t and other tweaks.  Not totally convinced it’s love but we are at least in like and the relationship is moving in a positive direction. I’ve delayed posting anything until now because I didn’t want to share any premature conclusions.  
fast
Thanks for all the input.  Stereo5, while I get your advice, I’m inclined to wait.  The speakers are several months old and aren’t going to depreciate much more than they have already over the months to come.  I’m listening to them every day.  
As I’ve said, I’m not ready to give up and there are good reasons to go slowly and be sure.  That includes time to try different electronics.  Not at all sure what I would like better and I hate the thought of going through the auditioning process again (the Monitor Audio P300ii was a close contender previously). TRknomo, sounds like we’ve had similar experiences.  I spent lots time listening to the Reference 3s at dealers and bought the 5s as a result because they are very similar except the 5s have two additional bass speakers  .  No dealer anywhere near me stocked the 5s so the first time I heard them was the day they were delivered.  What do you dislike about the 3 and do you have any idea what you’ll get to replace them?
Post removed 
@fast Yes seems very similar. Funny I never listened to the Monitor Audio P300ii until after my disappointing purchase. If I had I would have purchased them instead as I think that was a speaker I could have lived with. 

However since I didnt I’m taking my time and gonna spend as long as it takes. So far though at the top of my list of go backs and listen again are the Legacy Focus SE and the Magico A-3. Honestly if I just stopped right now and bought the Magico’s I would be happy and not look back.  But since it may take a bit to sell my Ref 3’s I’m going to listen to all I can.

Fortunately  only took a small hit on the front end equipment by trading up and down with the dealer. It wasn’t till I went elsewhere and traded in my AR for McIntosh that I took a small loss. I was told the same thing though, it needed more break in time. It was my recordings, it was my speaker cables, it was my placement. At the end of the day I do realize it’s the speakers. I find that the Uniq driver does not play hard fast rock very well and just becomes very fatiguing. I can listen for an hour or two but then I’ve had enough. I’ve had less expensive equipment that I could spend the whole day listening to. So between PreAmp, Monos, TT, cables etc I have about 35K in and cant listen for more than a couple Albums. However with the same front end I sat at the MC dealer for a few hours and hated to leave when I needed to with no fatigue.

I have an active thread going on here, check it out as I’ve recieved some good info that would benefit you as well. It the Best Speakers  that rock under 15K. 
Since this post is getting close to a year old, I’m wondering what the KEF owner thinks of them now.  Did you make any other changes to your system?  I’ve wanted to hear the 5s, but have none near me.  My 2 channel system now includes KEF 205.2s, McIntosh C50 pre, and McIntosh Mc452 power amp.  
Thanks for asking.  

The bottom line: I’m very happy to say that I am really liking the KEF Reference 5 speakers now.  The soundstage/imaging, dynamics—they are what I was hoping for but didn’t hear at first.  I think it took a long time for the KEFs to break in.  I also got some new equipment, as described below.  Finally, I had a visit from Dave,  the Audio Doctor who helped position the speakers and provided advice on equipment and other setup issues (please, let’s not detour into a discussion of the Audio Doctor and just leave it with my statement that he’s been extremely helpful to me).  

As for the changes to my system since my last post—new Wireworld cables (interconnects, usb, ethernet), an Innuous Zenith iii server to replace my Naim Unitiserve, Rega Planar 6 with Dynavector cartridge.  I’m considering a DAC to replace my Aurilac Vega 1. Dave demonstrated an Aqua DAC.  Also, I was able to borrow a PS Audio Directstream DAC with bridge (which sounds very good but keeps producing a clicking or pop noise over my speakers at random intervals, especially when using the bridge input—which may eliminate this DAC as a possibility).  Haven’t decided on another DAC but I’m in no rush.  Incidentally, the Innuous  is a great addition for the sound and the operational features.  Dave, helped me set it up with thousands of Albums and it feels like I must have almost every piece of music there is (I realize that’s not possible).  

My other equipment: Audio Research VT 130SE amp, LS 22 preamp, PH3 phono stage.  I’ve retubed these and had them checked over.  

The Reference 5s can be hard to find for audition.  I bought them, without hearing them and after much debate, after hearing and really liking the Reference 3s. Glad I stuck with the KEFs!