Anyone familiar with Ikeda 9 series (cantileverless kind) MC cartridges?

Impressed by the series FR-7 kinds , more in particular the FR-7 fz, I wanted to try some of the

9 C(?) kinds. I was able to buy the 9 C, mk2 but was not able to find much info about other

versions.  There are later versions so I am interested in their possible  ''added values''.

128x128nandric
Dear Nandric,

I meant ’different versions’ of the 9 series, assuming Mr. Ikeda administered equal treatment to ’each member’ of his family.

But I have always wondered why there’s such a wide range of recommended VTF within this ’family’ (ranging from 1,5 to 2,5 grams) when they supposedly all share the same construction.

When I inspect the Rex up close it looks like the stylus is glued to a brace or bridge (for want of a better term) around which the coils seem to be wound. There’s no visible suspension (but that may be hidden from sight) and obviously no cantilever, so I don’t understand where any compliance could be derived from. Sorry for my hopeless description.

The available information on the 9 series is very limited and I do not know which was the last and/or best, although I do remember reading somewhere that the 9 Musa (the one with the integrated wooden headshell) was indeed the final version before Ikeda the man retired and Ikeda the company returned to more conventional cartridges. I don’t know if Ikeda the man was still responsible for the design of the current 9 series, or if these belong to someone else’s ’family’ with the same name.....

I’m sure you will have noticed by now that I do not know any more than you do. So I share your hope that other ’members’ of this forum can shed some more light on the ’family history’ of these carts and on their sonic ’pecking order’.

AFAIK, the Ikeda 9 started with the 9C series (From Mk1 to Mk 3) then moved to 9R and then 9REX came and then 9MUSA.

Dear ddriveman, The nomenclature of the most cartridges make

no sense. Think of AT and ZYX kinds. The FR-7 series is not

simple but series 9 is curious. Takeda san with his Miyabi

demonstrated that ''simple is better''. If my assumption that

the ''latest is the best'' is correct than 9 MUSA is the one to

look for. But I hope that this ''variant'' is without headshell.  

Thanks for putting  them in the right order.  We should start

a thread about MC kinds like Rauls MM thread (grin).

I do miss J. Carr's contributions . He could probably answer

our questions.

I did some more searching on the web and found that vinyl engine lists no fewer than 14 different 'variations' on the cantilever-less 'theme'. 

In alphabetic order: 9B, than 9C, 9C II, 9C III, 9C IV and 9C V, 9CU, 9EM, 9EM PL, 9 Musa, 9 Omega, 9R, 9 Rex and 9 Supremo. In some cases prices are mentioned and the 9B was the cheapest (and probably earliest) at $495 and the 9 Musa the dearest (and possibly latest) at $3440. Unfortunately no release dates are provided.
Another source suggests that the 9 Supremo at $2950 was the last one, discontinued in 2014. VTF indeed ranged from 1,5 gram (Omega, Rex and Supremo) to 2,5 gram (9EM, 9EM PL and 9R).

This does draw a more 'complete' picture of the entire 'family', but unfortunately doesn't answer the questions which 'family member' was the most talented,  Ikeda's 'prodigal son'......

So input from anyone who actually compared some of these would still be most welcome.

Thanks dear edgewear , While I considered this 9 C kinds

as ''exotic'' among the MC kinds I am actually stunned by the

lack of interest by the so called '' connoisseurs''. We see many

MC carts for +10 K prices while those ''precious'' can be get

for ''only'' about $2000. So, ''obviously'', you , my beloved

ddriveman and I have extraordinary tastes (grin).