Bel Canto Dac 3.7 in 2018?

Hi all,

I’ve come across a store demo 3.7 including the VBL for approximately 3000. Mint. Boxed, ready for sell. I know some might consider it dated due to lack of mqa, dsd, pcm, which is not available on this unit. Or perhaps the converter is dated?

Im quite content with 24/192. I’m waiting for the dust to settle on what will become the industry standard.  Mqa still seems questionable. Though promising. 

I currenty own a Bel Canto Reflink which would utilize the fiber connection for optimal SQ.  Add the VBL. It looks like a win for my needs and price. 

At the same time. There are always options, and different viewpoints. Which I would take into account. 

New or used. Would the community agree the 3.7 still holds up for 2018.  Are there similar units for the same price range that will surpass the 3.7 with the VBL. 

I lean towards seperates that has a external power source. Though I am open to a all in one unit. 

I believe Mytek can be hooked up to a separate power supply as well. Though I feel the Mytek  Brooklyn + has way too many features which could potentially impair the SQ. I’m very much into a simple UI. Clean lines. Less is more. Etc..

Thank you for your input. 

J

jred
In looking over various options given your situation I happened upon something that, if I were you, I'd seriously consider.  I know you're looking to do this slowly, but sometimes opportunity comes a knockin'.  Right now there are a couple Devialet D-Premier integrateds available in and around your price range.  This would give you a new integrated amp and DAC all in one, and all at reference-level performance capabilities.  Read the unanimously glowing reviews.  $18,500 unit you can get for about 5 grand, and it's upgradeable.  Jeff Fritz of Soundstage used a lower-powered Devialet model to drive his $185,000 Magico Q7s and found it to be the best he's ever heard in his room -- better than megabuck Boulder, Gryphon, Vitus, etc. amps.  Hard to see you being anything but floored by the performance level on offer here.  Best of luck. 
@soix 

Thanks so much with all of the information you have provided. The Dac you mentioned seems like a great deal, and the fidelity probably surpasses the 3.7 in every aspect. 

Ironically after I placed my order for the 3.7 I checked my email, and noticed your post. Which was most appreciated, considering the fact  no one here gets paid for being a audio consultant. Ha! 

The fact that bel canto is made in the states and applies a very minimal audio approach appeals greatly to me. External design is not high on my list. That plastic wheel though. Come on now.  Ohms law. Minimal meaning they do not go over board throwing all into one box. i do understand the appeal of why some consumers would prefer a all in one unit. 

I like the the fact I can choose my own external phono pre amp, etc or simply use it as a analog input pertaining to the 3.7

I value the philosophy of upgrades for a unit as technology improves. Though at the same time I try to keep my components as simple as possible. Schiit is the perfect example. 

Additionally a unit that is priced originally at 18,000.00 would probably not match well with my monitors, and current amp.  I’m guessing a amp around 5000 tops will work well with the 3.7. Perhaps I’m wrong with that assumption. Prima luna looks pretty sweet though it’s not manufactured in the states, which I’m honestly still battling with. Rogue Medusa looks promising as well. 

6 moons wrote up my Saaphire Xl’s providing a respectable honest review. That was not my determining factor of purchase. It was the philosophy of ACI that sealed the deal. Mike Dzurko is a awesome guy. It’s too bad his company no longer exist. 

His business philosophy, and persona were amazingly similar to Pete at Triode Wired Labs. To whom I cannot praise enough. 

It appears  I’m currently working on a modest system which I really appreciate, and value. I enjoy the slow process of upgrades. Though I did take a giant leap with TWL. 

When I’m ready to take that extra step. I might very well look into some companies you have mentioned in this post. 

I would like your honest opinion for one particular item.

Which power conditioners suit your preference. Blue circle is a blast for the price, though I’m eventually going to have to upgrade to 4 receptacles. I like what Chang lightspeed has to offer as well. 

Just curious if anybody has upgraded their older DAC 3.5VB to the 3.7VB?  Bel Canto no longer even lists the 3.7VB on their website, but still offers upgrades for older 3.5's (for $500).  Does the sonic improvement (if any) justify the expense?