CDs Vs LPs

Just wondering how many prefer CDs over LPs  or LPs over CDs for the best sound quality. Assuming that both turntable and CDP are same high end quality. 
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xtattooedtrackman
It has really become just a matter of convenience.
Lets face it the consumer that is average joe makes up the vast majority of all media sales, not us hobbyist junkies!
Average Joe has moved right along with tech advances and loves it!
CD is facing the same extinction event that vinyl was say 35 years ago give or take, will it roll over and die ? Of course not just like vinyl has not but make no mistake both cd and vinyl are "zombie" media in consumer speak, they are both "dead" but refuse to actually die!

So convenience....

When average Joe discovered cd he was over the moon, no more replacing styli, cleaning of vinyl, getting up every 20 minutes, setting up the tt ( if they ever did?).
Now they had these shiny little discs that were extremely resilient to light scratches and grubby fingerprints, a lot easier to store and hit play and get an hour or more of music, plus remote controls! And playback in the car! Yes I know the 50,s offered record players as an option in cars thank you.

Then as tech advanced and video tapes were replaced with dvd and bluray average Joe became even happier that their cd could now play in those dvd and bluray machines and hey even less boxes to own!

Now we are at streaming and digital hirez files ( and yes I have skipped over ipods and mp3 files entirely!).

Will these replace cd in the mainstream to average Joe? I think they mostly already have.

Most smartphones now are more than capable of streaming hirez files or Tidal etc to a home audio system or in the car so now average Joe can play high quality music with the one item he would never leave home without anyway, the phone. I will be honest here, the first thing I do on getting into the car is sync to my phone and play via Tidal. No more zipper cases of cds to fumble with any more.

As I said this is all about average Joe the mainstream consumer not the audio junkie! Can you imagine Joe obsessing over whether he should change the VTA if he plays a 180gm record or not?

Lets be real here, we represent a tiny percentile of the consumer market and that is driven by tech and convenience.

And yes this my very humble opinion only and a somewhat cynical take with tongue in cheek before you get all righteous out there! (ps as a clue I DO adjust VTA for 180gm vinyl...lol)
I attended a Keith Jarrett concert at Carnegie Hall during which he launched into an anti-digital, pro-vinyl diatribe. Not sure what prompted it, but he went on and on. Anyway, I only own CDs; and I own many Keith Jarrett CDs. They sound fine to me. And I am sure that he was happy to get his cut of each purchase price.
@cleeds  A BIG +1   You are exactly right.  I don't even understand what could lead someone to think that one would make LPs from digital sources.  Does it ever happen?  Sure.  Many original content albums were recorded digitally and pressed to vinyl.  But the vast majority of historic and from audiophile dedicated production companies recordings are analog all the way.  Both source types can sound very good.  It is a consequence of the quality of mastering and in the case of LPs, the pressing!
CD's for convenience, but that often degenerates into plain ol' background music for doing chores around the house, entertaining groups of people, etc.

When I really want to listen to music (and have the time to do just that) I'll opt for LP's every time.Having a really good vinyl playback system, along with keeping the stylus and the LP clean is essential. For those who won't (or can't) invest the money and time in a vinyl system - just stick with your CD's. You probably won't be able to tell the difference anyway!
Dgarretson
the physical media will be sold off with no regrets.

8^(
the physical media is only thing of value to me. Everything else (gear) is easily replaced.

imo - Aging audiophiles, not being replaced by millennials, means there will be a plethora of eccentric audiophile gear .....for those looking for such in coming years.

coolatheart
It's my understanding ALL vinyl is manufactured from a digital imprint. Essentially a CD.

Years ago I got curious about the process and contacted a couple local mastering studios near me that also pressed vinyl. They confirmed that if an artist was doing the vinyl option, and had submitted Hi Res files that were better than CD quality 16/44, i.e. 24/96 and better..... then these Hi Res files were the ones used for the LP.