Upgrade to AMR DP-777 SE or look elsewhere

My AMR DP-777 is broken, and I have the opportunity to fix it with an upgrade to DP-777 SE.  The cost would be about $1400 (upgrade+usb->spdiff converter+coax cable).

However, DP-777 SE version is old: 2015. It might be a better idea trashing the AMR, and  spend $2000-$3500 and get something modern, like Shitt  Yggdrasil,  some used DS Direcstream Jr+BridgeII, Metrum Onyx, etc, 

What's your opinion?. Go the cheapest option (upgrade the AMR DP-777 to SE  version and add a decent usb->spdif converter), or burning $2k-$3.5k to get a modern DAC?. 

DAC's usage: 50% vocal jazz, 15% pop, 15% rock,  10% electronic, 10% all the rest. DSD is irrelevant for me, my library is 80% redbook and some high-res files 24/96, 24/192. The source is a laptop with files in a NAS, amp goes with valves, and I want nothing sounding digital or fatiguing after many hours of music in the background. 

;-)

cortes
@in_shore ,

I'd love to listen to these DACs in my system, however that's not possible for me, as to  most of the people in this hobby. 

However, just based in my readings,  no real auditioning,  I find difficult to believe that Yggy is better than PS Directstream, the latter is top-notch technology, costing much more. Now, one has a full forum in love with Schit products (warning for me), and another forum reporting real measures of the Yggy showing quite a poor performance of this DAC. 

BTW did you listen to the PS Direcstream with the  Red Cloud frimware?. 

The Pavane, at least the new version, looks as well  really good, although expensive without top-notch usb implementation. 

I don't like that all in this hobby is so subjective. 

• Cortes Im not one to flip through audio components like this however I became disappointed with the PS Audio dac and it’s parter Direct stream player which I purchased new in 2017.

Ps Audio are still dealing with screen glitches in both these components and after listening to the Denafrips a friend brought over it was clear the Denafrips was the better performer at a couple grand less then PS Audio and yes current Redcloud was installed. On top of that the second hand value of a four month old $6000.00 dac in perfect cosmetic condition is surprising low , equally for the player,,...The Denafrips Terminator was sold over a minor technical issues I had with it and the fact Denafrips did not have any North American representation ,.

Regarding the Yggdrasil, i never paid attention to anything Schitt ever produced , the name was enough to turn me off however learning who the principles heading up this company were did spark some interest.
After the experience with PS Audio I wanted better value , glitch free along with performance that fit my listening biases . I took home a dealer trade in of a Metrum Pavane to try and liked it and almost kept it however I wanted to look around more .
 The Yggdrasil mk 2 I had no idea about only that it was a revision of the original Yggdrasil dac and the dac wasn’t on my radar at all .
it just so happen during a online purchase I made with pick up at the sellers home we chatted and listened to some music , he had a top of the line CEC transport and the Yggdrasil mk2 dac my search was over for now ,.
Well i don’t know what to think about what you read about Schitt components, I like their dac ,.

Before sending your AMR in, I'd try to get some loaners in home to get a 'feel' for their performance. I realize it isn't easy, but it can be done. Some DAC manufacturers have return policies. Some dealers can be persuaded if you are a serious buyer. 

Once you hear what other DACs sound like within your system, I believe the decision to upgrade or not will fall into place and be the right one.

All the best.
For the record, Denafrips recently announced that Mike Powell, owner of Verastarr and located just outside of Atlanta, is now their official US service center.

Dave
@in_shore 

thanks for your amazing  comments, sharing a lot of valuable first hand experience. 

Yes, the second hand value of Directstream is very low, but  official prices are always ridiculous in this business and I thought it was something normal. 

@dlcockrum ,

after reading @in_shore comments I took a look at the Denafrips page. Needless to say, the Terminator looks terrific:  isolation, thick metal, very nice modular board, linear power supply, full of pictures showing what's inside.  All the basic checks passed.  It  does not look like the typical garage audiophile product.   

However,.... sorry, I don't trust any Chinese thing without western support and warranty.  The info they provide about themselves in the site is vaporware, not address or names to send the police if the thing burns the house.