How do I find an audio advisor who does home consultations?

I live on Eastern Long Island and am looking for someone who could do an assessment of my system. Over the last couple of years I've taken the leap into a better quality vinyl system, but just can't seem to get the sound right consistently.  In the past year I purchased a Rega Planar 3 TT, a Line Magnetic tube integrated amp and a Heed phono stage.  There are times it sounds great, but not consistently. I've told two different dealers that my CDs sound better than my vinyl and the response and look I get is like I've spoken heresy.  

I'm in the middle of trying the myriad tweaks (vibration control, new rack, cork mat, record cleaner), am looking into my electrical system (think I have a dedicated line), power conditioner and so on.  I'm considering new phono stage and cartridge as well.

I know how electrical issues ( air conditioner running, dehumidifier on another line) influence sound, but is it possible that vinyl is influenced more that CD's?

Anyway, I'm willing to pay for someone to assess my system in my home as opposed to going to a dealer and guessing that I need this or that without hearing what I am.  Are there dealers that charge an hourly rate to do this?

udog
I think you should not be so adverse to dealers.  Yes, I have had some negative experiences, but dealers have helped me put together some really great systems that I don't think I could have done myself.  Don't be intimidated and let them try to help you.  But I also think it's a good idea to try and find some local audiophiles that may be able to assist you. 
For what it is worth, I can bring over several components for you to hear in your system that may help you understand what can make your system sound "better".  That way you may be able to understand strengths and weaknesses in your home/system and possible understand what components you would benefit the most from.

Happy Listening.
Years ago I swore that I would never buy another component without auditioning it in my home system and I’ve consistently broken that promise. If I had to give anyone advice now, it would be to find a set of speakers that please you in your listening environment, mate amplification, and then assess source. My theory is that if you don’t get the first part right, you’re going around in circles trying tweaks and cables ad infinatum. A decent CD player (an Oppo) can give you excellent sound for not much money. Then you can use that benchmark for your vinyl playback. I’ve found that good vinyl playback ain’t cheap: I use a VPI Classic One with a Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC and a Sutherland phono pre so I’ve got about $6K into it to find decent playback. One big recent change was buying a Lyngdorf integrated with Room Correction. Really helped smooth out Room effects. 
Jim Smith book is excellent advice indeed

he is by his own admission NOT a turntable guy and punts help there to Fremers hyper excellent setup and tweak videos....

i would suggest you build a relationship with Rutan at Audio Connection - they are analog zealots who know how to wring best out of a table...

fussing your power panel is a good idea, get digital stuff on the heavy appliance leg and the sensitive analog gear on the other leg !!!!

my $.02

and I think I have decent analog and digital rigs .... yes sometimes the CD or served file sounds better, sometimes can be often....