How do I find an audio advisor who does home consultations?

I live on Eastern Long Island and am looking for someone who could do an assessment of my system. Over the last couple of years I've taken the leap into a better quality vinyl system, but just can't seem to get the sound right consistently.  In the past year I purchased a Rega Planar 3 TT, a Line Magnetic tube integrated amp and a Heed phono stage.  There are times it sounds great, but not consistently. I've told two different dealers that my CDs sound better than my vinyl and the response and look I get is like I've spoken heresy.  

I'm in the middle of trying the myriad tweaks (vibration control, new rack, cork mat, record cleaner), am looking into my electrical system (think I have a dedicated line), power conditioner and so on.  I'm considering new phono stage and cartridge as well.

I know how electrical issues ( air conditioner running, dehumidifier on another line) influence sound, but is it possible that vinyl is influenced more that CD's?

Anyway, I'm willing to pay for someone to assess my system in my home as opposed to going to a dealer and guessing that I need this or that without hearing what I am.  Are there dealers that charge an hourly rate to do this?

udog
austinbob, I can see how expensive this can become.  Went to one dealer who had 20k speakers and an ultimate VPI system that was the best I ever heard.  I don't know if there's a market for it, but I personally am willing to pay 100-200 for a good listening session, don't know if this already exists.  Is it out there?
While I do not know that they offer this type of service, but you might want to check with Audio Den in Lake Grove. Been there a couple of time and the guys seem very knowledgable. 

My $ .02
When I had my store I think we spent more time LEARNING than we did selling. Back then--early 1970's--manufacturers were bending over backwards to provide education to dealers that was not only "their" product-based. I found that having a professional audio consultant available provided a better ROI than all the advertising co-op money I got in a year. 

We made more sales by taking systems to customer homes, setting them up, and letting the customer find the exact "sound" he/she was looking for than we did with "hard sell" tactics or even by cutting retail prices.  

Any dealer--Lyric Hi-Fi in your area??-- should have a pro on staff to help you audition components in YOUR ROOM and provide professional measurements to help you see what is possible in that space.  Now, we all know that measurements are not the same as sound, so whatever you learn, you still get to pick what YOU want in your system.

We always suggested Lyric back then to our snowbird customers who were in the NYC area.  Not sure if they are the same 50 years later, but probably are.  If not them, ask them who they suggest. 

Good listening!
Agree, Jim Smith.

Not inexpensive....

He'll have no ties to specific recommendations.