Possible Upgrade

Hi-

A buddy of mine recommended your site. I'm possibly looking to upgrade my system and wanted to get some thoughts. The current system consists of a Carver TFM-45 amp with a Carver C-5 Pre-amp/tuner. I listen to some vinyl on my old Harmon Kardon straight line turntable. Just about everythi9ng else is Pandora or FLAC tracks using my Sonos .Speakers are Definitive Technology RLSII's. I have a Paradigm subwoofer also in the mix.  Speakers are non negotiable - I'm married and the wife won't go for anything else. Would I notice much of a difference if I were to say swap out the Carver to a McIntosh 6300 -6500? I'm looking for something mainstream that won't break the bank. Thoughts or suggestions would be welcome!

Thanks

malibupacific
It just doesn't have any "Pop". Maybe it's me - I'm 61 years old - but it's sounds very flat to me. Not any life to it. I listen to mostly classical and jazz.  PS I forgot to mention I have a Yamaha GE-60 equalizer in the chain.
If you used to like how it sounded, and you've had it for years (decades?), and you now don't like how it sounds, then it is your hearing that has changed. Before spending money on guesses you would be better off going and listening to as many systems as you can drive or fly to. Take notes. With some perseverance you should be able to put together a new system that sounds good to you. I hope you do, it's worth it.

You're probably right. keep reading about the "warm" sound of different components and the advantage of using a stand alone DAC. I guess I was looking for the magic bullet that wasn't going to cost me an arm and a leg.

Thank you