Bel Canto ACI600 vs Black EX Sepates

I'm trying to decide between these two Bel Canto beauties for an office setup. Both are similarly priced.... The ACI 600 is an integrated version of the 55k Black system. The Black EX separates are the more budget friendly system.

Whatever I choose, they'll be driving KEF Reference 1's.

I'm looking for advice/impressions from people who have owned these systems or heard them at an audio show/dealer. What are the pros/cons of each setup?

Please, no advice on different electronics or speakers.

Thanks!
Ken
keoliphant
Our Black EX system is driving YG Acoustic Carmels with a subwoofer. The Black EX brought them to life. My wife said the Black EX “has balls.” I, however, do not think it has a gender. My wife now spontaneously wants to dance. Some songs give the hair on her arms goosebumps when listening to her favorite songs. I have a single criterion for high-end audio: emotional involvement. Specs are meaningless IMHO.

After years of owning different DACs and amps, this is a final destination product, which is saying something coming from an upgrade junkie. The Black EX makes good speakers great, and there is no other way to achieve this sound.

The Black EX has a phono pre-amp and Tilt Control. The Tilt Control is amazing, especially with recordings that are hot, i.e., intentionally recorded with an emphasis on the high-end, like Adele 21. Listening to any song on that album on a car stereo may be ok, but you need to tweak it on a high-end system. Tilt also can be used if you room is too bright or too dead.

It has equalizer features – high pass and low pass filters. Subwoofer integration, in my opinion, is very difficult and rarely successful. The Black EX integrates subwoofers. It takes a bit of time, like an hour or two, to adjust the high pass and low pass filters for your room and subwoofer, but the end result is integration. By integration, I mean you cannot tell if the music is from the main speakers or the subwoofer. I am using 50 Hz on both settings but they do not have to be the same.

The Black EX has an Ethernet input. This is often overlooked, but it means you are not using a computer in your system (unless you want to use Roon; the Black EX is Roon ready). We mostly use the Bel Canto SEEK app. Ethernet is a superior connection over USB.

Finally, Black EX is MQA compatible. Playing an MQA recording using an Ethernet connection is a step up. It squeezes out that last five percent.

Just a thought -- for that kind of money, why not take a trip to Minneapolis and visit the factory to hear them there?
@nord  Thanks for the response. Great hearing you liked the Black system.

@markalarsen  wow, great review/commentary. Prediction - I believe we'll end up with the Black EX separates once i'm able to pull the trigger on the home system.

@mlsstl great idea...think I'll end up attending an audio show before I put together the home system.
@keoliphant Did you decide? I'm in the market for a Pre-amp and a DAC. My dealer suggested Bel Canto EX DAC as well. I was planning to go with Ref 6 + PS Audio Direct Stream DAC but now I'm confused. I may need to listen to this. Since I see very fewer reviews on EX DAC, I'm still hesitant.