Do Macs Play FLAC?

My my understanding was always that they could not play FLAC encoded files.  I just installed a Synology NAS.  I have a Bluesound Vault 2 with about 300 CDs that were ripped in FLAC and was able to transfer the contents of the Vault 2 to the NAS.  These show up as FLAC files in the NAS index.  To my surprise, they play on my MAcAir, purchased in in 2013, via usb into a Bryston DAC3.  I had assumed I would need a music playing program to make these files playable on the Mac.  I have no FLAC converting software loaded onto the Mac
mahler123
I think Itunes was the problem for FLAC. Other software will play FLAC files. Itunes will do it if you convert from FLAC to another file. I used AIFF (lossless file for my music file library). Apps for FLAC files? dBpoweramp (windows and mac), Golden Ear (ios), FLAC player (ios), Fluke (mac), Tonido (ios), TuneShell (ios), VOX. There are probably more. Also both IOS and Windows can be loaded on a MAC. Just partition the HD.
I can play FLAC files on my MacBook Air. Files are played via Audirvana Plus through the USB port into a McIntosh C50 for D/A conversion. Works perfectly for me, very happy with the results. See my previous post on this subject.
@2psyop 
i understand what you said, but the point is that I am playing FLAC through iTunes.  I am also running a trial of Audirvana Plus, but the files played before I added this, and if I disable Audirvana they still play through iTunes 
Hello mahler123 - 

I'm interested in your findings.  If you would, what version of iTunes are you running?  

I do use iTunes for creating my ripped CDs library.

Thanks.