Do Macs Play FLAC?

My my understanding was always that they could not play FLAC encoded files.  I just installed a Synology NAS.  I have a Bluesound Vault 2 with about 300 CDs that were ripped in FLAC and was able to transfer the contents of the Vault 2 to the NAS.  These show up as FLAC files in the NAS index.  To my surprise, they play on my MAcAir, purchased in in 2013, via usb into a Bryston DAC3.  I had assumed I would need a music playing program to make these files playable on the Mac.  I have no FLAC converting software loaded onto the Mac
mahler123
@ghosthouse 
The most recent iTunes version, because I just did an update about a week ago.
Ah...okay.  Thanks for the reply mahler.  I'm still running 12.5.5.5.  I'll have to hunt around for a FLAC file to experiment with.  Could take some time before reporting back  :-) 
Mahler123,
Glad the new version of ITunes is working out for your FLAC files, I misread your question/statement? I have not updated ITunes in many moons, just really play files off NAS and stream music.
Mahler123,

I have the latest iTunes but can't even import FLAC files.  Please advise.  Thx.

The plot thickens.  I just downloaded the Mac version of dbpoweramp and attempted to rip 2 albums in FLAC.  They haven’t shown up on the NAS (or on the SSD of the Mac)
 One possibility is that I’ve not used the software correctly.  The other is that the Mac is somehow blocking a FLAC file from finding it’s way  to the NAS.
  Recall in my OP that the original FLAC files on the NAS were transferred directly from the Bluesound Vault, which rips and stores in FLAC.  The weird thing is that these files played back on the Mac
without having to be converted to another format