Kinki Studio EX-M1 200wpc Integrated Amplifier

Winner of the ’Blue Moon Award’ from 6Moons / Srajan Ebaen

Here is the ’summary’ last page from 6Moons:

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/kinki/6.html

And the first page for those interested in the full review:

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/kinki/1.html

215W (8 Ohms)  Inputs: 3 RCA  1 XLR  

Offered via Vinshine Audio in Singapore.

Currently SGD 2898 which equals ~ USD 2135.
Ag insider logo xs@2xdavid_ten
@roxy54, I'm actually not that sensitive, as an Asian American who grew up in the US, I've seen and heard it all.  Honestly, it's not a big deal to me, but someone has to call him out.------------------------------------On a different note, Alvin@Vinshine sure seems to know how to pick them.  I'm very interested in this amp.  I'm wondering how it would compare to my Ayre AX5/20.  Maybe, it's time to purchase the Kinki and see if I can downgrade to upgrade.  I could use the extra funds.  :)
@teajay   Terrific to hear how highly you regard this integrated amp. 

Will you be doing a head to head comparison with the T+A in Allen's or Ezra's system?
mikepowellaudio,

It is good news to hear that these fine pieces of gear have a US repair facility. For me, in the rare instance of having to send the product overseas for repair is a deal breaker. From what you have said, it looks like you have superb customer service for these products. Well done!!!
Tim
Another question I’m curious about regarding this amp concerns gain. Sensitivity is specified as follows:

Input Sensitivity: 2.25Vrms - 3.6Vrms
I’m guessing that 2.25 volts is for the unbalanced inputs, and 3.6 volts is for the balanced input, as I don’t see any means of varying the sensitivity in the internal or external photos. Given the 215 watt 8 ohm power rating those sensitivities can be calculated to correspond to gains of approximately 25 db and 21 db respectively. Which seem like very low numbers for an integrated amp, and perhaps too low to be optimal with some combinations of vinyl sources and low efficiency speakers.

Yet the review contains the following statement:

Who actually needs 200 watts with 26dB of voltage gain in just the line stage followed by another x 20 amplification factor in the power stage? Very few. Because the EX-M1 hits its torque already in first gear, that number is mainly for bragging rights, peace of mind and yes, the rare customer who really does own that boat-anchor load to tap such power and gain.
That would mean a total gain of 52 db, which in contrast to the calculated numbers would be very high for an integrated amp. And probably too high to be optimal with some combinations of digital sources and high efficiency speakers.

Just wondering how to reconcile this apparent discrepancy, while having some concern that all of these numbers may be a bit extreme in one direction or the other.

Regards,
-- Al

Hey David,

Yes, the comparison will be in Ezra's system because he has the current reference T+A model. 

Also, wanted to share that Mike Powell is a great gentlemen who is a true craftsman who builds beautiful audio gear.  I believe that Alvin made a wise choice to create a relationship with Mike to be the US repair station, in the case something needs to be fixed after purchasing the item.  This completely eliminates any anxiety about having to ship all the way back to Singapore, along with having someone with Mike's skill and level of excellence take care of any problem. Alvin has great taste in the brands he sells, both on quality/performance, and the ratio of performance to cost should have other companies concerned, if customers use their ears and not what something costs.